Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

OT Trojan Virus in RA Software?

10 posts in this topic

Just downloaded the latest AVG and here is a screen shot of the scan results. Is it possible for this to happen or can the Trojan virus attach itself to other software? RS_Trojan.bmp

I am no expert, but I'd guess one of the following is true. 1. The Trojan has come in from another source and attached to the RSI Files. 2. The predective algorithm of AVG has seen something in RA's way of doing things it thinks might be risky. Either way a call yo RA is in your best interest IMHO.

Thanks Bob. I don't think it came from RA if it does actually exist.It may be like you mentioned on how AVG looks at it.

I'd hold off doing the install until this gets checked by RA. IAB is managed and built by a contractor, though any vendor can be unlucky enough to have an infection in their builds. Did you download the Full or Light editions of IAB ? I'm going to try to get to a good broadband connection and check this against Symantec and Avast today. There is a legitimate Microsoft utility called sleeper.exe that's part of the developer's kit for testing hardware sleep modes, though I can't imagine it has a place in IAB. The name is suspicious, I agree. Edited by Ken Roach

Bob O Has your system started taking 15+ min. to startup yet? Last week my AVG updated and redflagged something from RA. I don't have the laptop in the house so it will have to wait until monday. I don't even know enough about these wonderful joyful machines to wipe it clean and start fresh. I guess it is time to learn how. Anybody have any pointers?

Ken, I don't remember when I downloaded it and I don't use it and I don't think it came from RA. I will check/search for for what ever you ask on my computer if it helps in the solution of where it came from. And thanks for replying. JAK, My computer has been acting buggy ever since FireFox 3 came out. [i think it was 3]. So this morning I decided to get the latest AVG and do a scan. I wish I was better at this computer stuff myself.

AVG Antivirus - first I heard of it...used may different ones...superantispyware..SpyBot...Maelware remover...Any comments pro-cons on AVG? Always willing to try something new especially free...as I can tell... Thanks

BobO - another brainstorm Symantec offers a free web based scan, I think McAfee does also. Let them check the suspect file/folder and see what they return.

AVG is the best of the free ones. It's a pig just like 99% of the virus checkers out there. Kaspersky claims to not be a pig but I've never had a chance to verify. Watch out for comparing virus checker A to virus checker B. This SOMETIMES works but all the reports I've seen suggest that in head-to-head comparisons, all the virus checkers detect roughly 95% of the viruses out there. But there is very little overlap in the 5% that they miss. There is perhaps 1% that none of them catch but the remaining 4% is different for almost every single vendor. If it wasn't for the obvious problem that you'd need a dual quad-core processor running at 3 GHz with RAID 10K RPM hard drives in order to actually have a usable machine with two virus checkers, I'd actually recommend it. Instead I recommend you install Ubuntu and VirtualBox. Then re-install XP on VirtualBox, install only Rockwell software on it (create additional images for additional programs with compatibility problems). Then save a copy of the image once you've got the software loaded and configure. Once this is done, use it to run the XP software that you have to run. Everything else (office applications, E-mail, web browser, calculator, games, etc.) runs in the secure operating system outside the vulnerable land of Microsoft. When I just recently received a new dual core 2.2 GHz machine with 4 GB of RAM, it came preloaded with some sort of virus called "Vista". Almost all software wouldn't run on it. It ran as slow as an old 600 MHz PIII. It constantly triggered various dialog boxes and security warnings. You had a 50/50 shot that any hardware you plugged into it MIGHT work. It constantly tried to eat the network connection downloading things so much that I thought it was on a botnet. And it came preloaded with about 25 GB of the hard drive filled up with just an operating system on it and no applications. It had a virus checker on it too but the virus checker had been corrupted or something because even after downloading the latest updates and running one of those "free" online virus checkers, the Vista virus still didn't come up so that I could remove it. Since removing the Vista virus from it, it was clear that there were no hardware defects. The machine is rock solid. Just a software problem.

I really want to hear what you have to say Paul once you load Windows 7 in one of your virtual boxes.