Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaxrpc

Wonderware I/O Server vs DAServer

12 posts in this topic

Hi, This is the first time i am working with wonderware and i have some problems knowing the difference between a wonderware I/O Server vs DAServer. The project i am working for will be changing all the current Mitshubishi A Series PLC to Mitshubishi Q Series PLC (ethernet version). After some reading, i gathered that all i need to change would be the I/O driver and the existing wonderware application will still work (Am i right about this?). After some searching on the wonderware site, i found a Mitsubhishi Q series Ehternet DAServer. I/O Server for Mitsubitshi are only available from 3rd party wonderware partners. I need to give an answer if we need to purchase the driver or we can just use the DAServer soon. And i am not sure of the difference between an I/O Server and DAServer ( I have googled and searched wonderware website before asking in the forum). thanks in advance, Lost

Use the DAS-Server, this is native to the ww suite. I think that the IO Server probably talks to another driver that then talks to the PLC = 2 applications to manage, whereas the DAS server will talk directly to the PLC, and run in the background, much easier...

"i have some problems knowing the difference between a wonderware I/O Server vs DAServer" Both are developed by Wonderware. DA servers are their 'new line' of servers. although the legacy I/O servers still exist - but without much support. I agree, use the DA when possible. Wonderware knows best which servers work best with their own HMI software. Edited by crashcup

thanks for the fast reply guys. Just 1 more question, after i have installed a DAServer and have it running. Does that mean from wonderware i have access to the PLC's DM? like D200.1 , D202 etc thanks

You need to select a DA server specific to your PLC.

hi, yup i mean after i have installed the correct daserver for my plc model.thanks

I don't know about the Mitshubishi driver. I've done the ABDAS for CompactLogix. I had to add the tags (in your case, addresses) to the server through WW's System Management Console. There should be a manual in pdf form on the Integration CD or DVD that you installed the driver from. It should take you through it step by step.

Hi IO_Rack and all the ones who replied. Thanks for the help. I have got the driver running with wonderware. thanks alot.

Really? we have not had to do this within any of the DAS setups that we have, configure the tags and accessnames in WM, and all works, providing the DAS is setup correctly.

Thanks for calling me on this one Scott as this was my first experience with ControlLogix to WonderWare using ABDAS. I don't know that I had to add the tags to the DAS server but I did so as instructed and it works just fine. I'll test this and post back once I get a hold of the hardware again. Edited by IO_Rack

All part of the forum IO Rack. Will be interested to see if you get it working without having to add to the DAS itself, the only thing that you need to add is the topic definition.

Well it's been over a month but I finally got back to this project. You are correct! I did not have to add the tags to the DAS. This is quite a relief as it would have been a little cumbersome when adding or changing tags to the system. Thanks for the info Scott!