Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lois

SLC 5/03 communications?

6 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, i'm very new to PLCs, presently doing my end of studies placement in a company that lost documentation&knownledge on PLCs due to some "internal problems"... We have an ethernet network with 5 SLC 5/05, a MicroLogix 1200 and a FlexLogix. My problem is that we have a "stand alone" SLC 5/03 that is not networked, so we have to get in the plant with a laptop and a peer to peer cable everytime we want to check the program or make a change. We'd like to control it from the control room that is located approximatively at 50m from there. As there are no Ethernet connections on the SLC5/03, I'd like to know which option should be the best to provide a direct access to this PLC, between the DH485 and the DH1 protocol. Thanks! PD: sorry if there are some english mistakes i'm french

You could use a 1761-NET-ENI to put the 5/03 on you ethernet network, or you could swap it out for a 5/05

Options as I see it are as follows: A. Upgrade the SLC5/03 to SLC 5/05 and place on ethernet. PRO - everything ethernet CON - Cost of the CPU B. Place the SLC5/03 on ethernet using an 176-NET-ENI. PRO - everything ethernet CON - Cost of the ENI and limited to 38.4K due to the CLS to ENi serial link. C. Use DH-485 to communicate to the control room PRO - can't think of one CON - additional hardware needed AIC and so forth; plus need DH485 cabling. Also bandwidth limited. D. Use DF-1 to communicate to the control room PRO - can't think of one CON - additional cabling needed. Notte DF-1 uses standard RS232 wiring and 50m is pushing the distance especially if your environment is noisy. Also bandwidth limited.

Greetings Lois ... and welcome to the forum ... here’s one thing about the SLC-5/03 to SLC-5/05 upgrade that many people don’t know about ... your AB distributor “should” be able to give you a trade-in allowance when you make the swap ... I used to work for one (on this side of the pond) and we had to make “deals” like this quite often ... basically the distributor submits your existing unit’s specifications to Allen-Bradley – and then gives you a quote to consider ... it may take a day or two – but it’s usually worth the phone call ... PS ... you don’t need to apologize for your English ... it’s better than most native-speakers who post here ... good luck with your project ...

Ok thanks a lot! i will phone them then and see what they offer