Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
michel

Serial comm through programming port

6 posts in this topic

Hi, is it possible to communicate through the FX programming port to retrieve (for example) a specific data register? I know it can be done in GX developer, but suppose I want to make my own software to communicate through this port, what protocol to use? Is that easy? I would like to make a simple terminal (with a pic controller or something) that plugs into the programming port and reads or sets data registers.

Protocol is proprietary. Use an OPC server or MX Components.

check download section, there was a QBASIC program that would do just that. you will of course have to translate it to whatever language you plan on using.

YES! That's it! QBASIC, the good old times Wondering where the programmer got the info from, I can't find anything about this protocol elsewhere. Already installed a port sniffer to get the required info. But a ready-made QBASIC program is about 100 times better Thanks! >> just tested, program works! Question, is this comm different from QnA series? Edited by michel

You won't find documentation on the protocol, because as I said Mitsubishi does not release it. Only way to figure it out is to packet sniff and reverse engineer. Personally I have used MX Components before for Visual Basic or Visual C++ apps, but only in testing in the lab. I've never had to do it on a real project. Used OPC servers on those.

yes, I understand this but the problem is that the available software components are of no use if you want to communicate through (for example) a PIC controller. I can't put MX Components into a PIC controller and call it's i/o functions. Anyway, the QBASIC program suits me, so problem is solved.