Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CJM

Compact Logix DH+ Question

16 posts in this topic

Hello all, I have almost got most of the issues workd out with my L32E, still cant get version 17 to update but 15 is fine? I want to be able to get info from PLC5's (3 of them), but I did not find a 1769-dhrio card. Is there another way to do this? I was thinking of going back through our plants ethernet and going all the way through the 1756-ENET module for the DHRIO cards in it and hopefull being able to see the 3 PLC5's on there but not very sure. I dont want switch over to Contol or Device net as 2 of the 3 lines will be converted to Compact Logix in the next 6-8 months, so in the mean time I need to get info back and forth either with wires or some kind of module. Thanks in advance.

One possible solution might be a 1761-NET-ENI, see link below http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...pp004_-en-p.pdf

Thanks Mickey But I think I didnt do well explaining my issue. I have three PLC5 and they are blue hosed back to a 1756-DHRIO card in a 1756-ENET Gateway. When I ordered the CMPTLGX I was just assuming I could get a DHRIO comms card for my setup. With my L32E I am going to use ethernet to go back to our network. I was just wandering if I could get to the PLC5's through my plants network? I am assuming not, one of the 5's is a 40E and the other is a 20classic. I guess I could just change the 20 to ethernet. Just didnt want to spend the funds if I was only gonna use it for a few months. Do I have to run directly to the ENBT or can I go through my network and still get to the ENBT to get to the DHRIO? Thanks to all for the help, sorry about the lame questions.. Edited by CJM

Sorry, I can offer no help with your 1756-DHRIO as I have never used one.

I'm a little confused. You already have a DHRIO card and ENBT in a Controllogix chassis. The ENBT goes to the Ethernet network which your L32E will be connected to. The 3 PLC5s are connected to the DH+ network that is connected the the DHRIO card in the Controllogix chassis. With this setup the Compactlogix will be able to communicate with the 3 PLC5s through the Controllogix gateway. What am I missing?

YES, you can send Read and Write messages to those PLC-5 controllers from the CompactLogix. The MSG instruction path will go over Ethernet to the 1756-ENET module, then to the backplane and then to the 1756-DHRIO module slot. The DHRIO module executes the DH+ portion of the message. This is well described in the chapter on the MSG instruction in the ControlLogix General Instruction Set Reference, as well as by several Knowledgebase documents. Your CompactLogix does not need to be connected to the same switch as the 1756-ENET, but it does need to have a routable path between them. If your company network includes routers that allow traffic between the switch your CompactLogix is connected to and the one that your 1756-ENET is connected to, you should be fine.

Yes, I thought I could see through the gateway, but I just was having issues getting the path setup, so I wasnt sure if it was even possible, I looked at the help file for instruction MSG and am still trying to get it setup, thanks for verifying for me. Good thing this project is about 2 months away. I have to take everything home to get time to work on it so I can not get on the plants network.

I've done this before. One of our clients has the same gateway, but with two DHRIO cards. In the online help for the MSG instruction, select the Related Topic, "Specifying the Communication Details," and look at the communication path info. In your case, the path is fairly simple: ENBT_IP_Address,Backplane,DHRIO_slot,DHRIO_DH+Port,PLC5_node. "Backplane is always 1 from any 1756 controller or module." DHRIO_slot is the module's slot number in the ControlLogix backplane. DHRIO_DH+Port = 2 for Channel A or 3 for Channel B. Your path will be something like 10.5.2.99,1,2,2,8. The next one I had to program got interesting. The path was subsystem Control Logix CPU - backplane - ENBT - Ethernet to plant main control panel - ENBT - I/O backplane - CNBT - ControlNet - CNBT - controller backplane - redundant CLX CPU. I don't have the exact details handy, but part of that path had to be enclosed in square brackets. We found an example somewhere that was close enough. The punchline to the whole deal is that the ControlNet network was connected, but the network programmer couldn't schedule communications because the processors were on different versions - v13 for our redundant setup and v15 for the vendor's subsystem. Mike

Tell us the node addesses of you PLC5s and your DHRIO, the slot numbers of your DHRIO and ENBT, and the IP Address of your ENBT and Compactlogix so we can help you with your paths

Thanks Mike that is helpful, but I lack the ability to put it in correctly. Here is the path and 2 ways I have put it in. Halon_Room, Ethernet IP=10.203.55.9 Backplane, 1756 A10/A 00- 1757 - ENET/A 01 02 03 04 05 06 07- 1756 - DHRIO/B, 1756 DHRIO/B --- CH A --- CH B, Data Highway -- 05, PLC 5/25, THRBAGR I tried 10.203.55.9,1,7,3,5 and I tried 10_203_55_9_1_7_3_5 I would say the programming language is where I lack the most as you can probably tell but thanks for the help.

This path is correct as far as my previous post went. What I forgot, because I've never done messaging from a CompactLogix before, was to begin the path with "LocalENB, 2,". Even though the Ethernet port is part of the processor module, the first path segment has to route to the module on the processor's local backplane (LocalENB) and then the front port (2). Did you configure the 1756-DHRIO beyond setting the switches? Look at Chapter 3 in document 1756-um514_-en-p.pdf, ControlLogix Data Highway Plus-Remote I/O Communication Interface Module 1756-DHRIO User Manual. Where it refers to processor slot, use the 1756-ENET slot, 0, instead. Try this and see if it works this time. Mike

Mike, THanks alot I appreciate it, I set it up like you described, I seen it in the Help Topics. And I didnt configuire anything on DHRIO settings, so they may not be right. So I now have LocalENB,2,10.203.55.9,1,7,3,5 and it accepted this version,BUT I dont see that it is operating. I am going through the Help Topics to try and get the rest of this on my own. I doubt it works.

Your CIP path is two steps too long. Delete the 3, 5. When you're doing DH+ messaging with the 1756-DHRIO, the CIP transport takes the message only as far as the 1756-DHRIO module itself. After that, the DHRIO Channel and Destination Node are part of the configuration of the DH+ message but are not part of the CIP Path.

So when I get rid of channel and node do I put those in the message control file, under the Destination Node I set it to 5, and under Channel I set to B? Thanks Ken that is very helpful..

Be sure that the message type is PLC-5 Typed Read/Write or PLC-5 Word Range Read /Write on the first tab of the message instruction. Then click the "DH+" option radio button in the Communication Method section. This enables the fields for the Channel and the Destination Node, which is the GUI interface to the actual sub-tags in the message control Tag. When you select the message as a "DH+" message it means that the CIP path only goes as far as the DHRIO, which is why you don't attempt to put the channel and target node into the CIP path.

Thanks Ken, I will try when I get back to work and see how it works out. They changed security options at work so I can not access my packaging lines from home anymore.