Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bronson125

NP Terminal / EJ1 / SLC 5/05

3 posts in this topic

I am installing a block of Omron EJ1 temperature controllers on a machine controlled by an Allen Bradley SLC 5/05. It was suggested by my distributor that I use an NP terminal as a protocol converter to alleviate having to write code in the SLC for Hex to Int conversions and BCC calculation. I will be continuously writing values (float setpoints) from the SLC to the EJ1, and continuously reading values (process values) from the EJ1 to the SLC. My thought was to write a Periodic Project Macro in the NP terminal using MEMCOPY commands to transfer data between the devices. My concern is that the SLC memory locations are not compatible with the EJ1 memory locations (ie. double word vs. word). My question is, will the MEMCOPY command work in itself, or will I need to process the data to be compatible with the SLC controller?

Hi, Why do you not put them on devicenet? EJ1 -DRT unit and a devicenet master from AB?? regards, MPM

I feel for you...what is up with the hex register choices in Omron? Very dated firmware is my guess. I had an application where we were reading ASCII string text from a device on Ethernet/IP and comparing to stored values in the Omron PLC. I had to convert the characters to their Hex value, then compare to a lookup table in the PLC code. Simple - maybe, but without the notes one would wonder what the heck was going on. If all you want to do is display visual data, maybe the NP terminal is a good way to go (if you have the programming software). But don't give up on figuring out the conversion. I believe the Masked Move (MVM) instruction can be coded to convert from Hex to Bin. Do you have a firm grasp on what the source data (from the Omron temperature controllers) looks like and what the designation data should look like? How are the Omron temp controllers talking to the SLC-5/05?