Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mach

Starting a business?

4 posts in this topic

I was wondering what you guys see in the industry as far as one man shops supporting industrial work. I support the I&C shops at the nuclear refuel outages. Usually that work is seasonal. Instead of starting a EC business I was thinking of a Technical Service. I am a state licensed electrician. I haven't done much PLC work in the last few years. Most of my skill is in the trouble shooting side. I wanted to keep things simple and easy. I still want to work the outages maybe 1 or 2 a year. Do any of you guys see temp workers come in? I have been in contact with ECs in my area. Is seems I won't be able to go with them. I will have to market to their clients. Any input or advice would be great. Ken

One man shops are something I have dealt with in the past, when I worked for an automation distributor. If you can do a project, offer a good price, and delive on time, word of mouth will build your business. Especially if you pick a niche where not many people are fluent. I had one guy who mostly worked on farms, automating doors, wells, pumps, cattle mover gates, watering tanks, etc. Anything they wanted to automate, and he wasn't afraid to get dirty.

I have a one man shop I deal with on a semi-regular basis. I just had him in for a couple of days when I was missing coverage for a shift. I only have 3 electricians for a 3 shift plant - one was on vacation with the other 2 not able to work overtime. He earned his keep by changing a fan that was deep inside an old VFD. Any chance you're near Rochester, NY? I'd love to have a 2nd person for a backup electrician with PLC knowledge.

Thanks guys. This is the method I am hoping to get. Support shops on projects, preventive maintenance, or repairs. I am located in Western PA. I am looking to relocate to the Raleigh area. My license will be good in NC.