Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1cncservice

Macrologix reliability

5 posts in this topic

Is anybody having hardware problems with Micrologix series? CPU stops working, power supply stops working, hardware fault issue! I'd like to see if you have any comments to this topic!

We mostly use Control Logix, but we do have seven or eight MLs kicking around, just one ML1K, its a bottom dweller so we don't use it. The rest are ML1200. No problems with any of them over at least five years. I can't speak for the ML1500 base units, we use CompactLogix instead, but I haven't ever had a problem with the 1769 IO.

I've had 4 die in the last 2 years. Same problem each time, micrologix locks up with the fault light on solid, can't get communication with it. Rockwell had a batch of them get out with what I think the tech said was a comm port circuit defective which was what was causing it. Contact your local distributor and give them the serial number, if it's in that group of problem controllers they will replace it for free. Never had a power supply problem. You will get faults saying the program is corupted if you are switching inductive loads like solenoid valves without spike protection on the outputs. I have 15 Micrologix 1000 in service, the 4 recalled units are the only ones that have gone bad, the replacement units are working great. All our other problems with them have been self inflicted.

We have sold probably 15-20 over the past 2-3 years and I don't remember sending any back.

I have around 6-8 ML1200's with analog expansion modules that have been in service 3-8 years without any issues. We only have one ML1000 that the maint. dept uses for training. I have a project coming up that I'm planning on using my first ML1100, and I hope it runs as reliably as the ML1200's have.