Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunnysting

Devicenet upload

7 posts in this topic

Alright all, what would I need to upload a devicenet file from an SLC? I have only worked on devicenet with controllogix so I'm a bit wet behind the ears to say the least. Cheers.

RSNETWORX for DEVICENET should work.

Cheers Bob, I have all the relevant software, the problem I have is that in controllogix I go online to the devicenet network via the network tree and select the devicenet card. On the SLC controlled machine we have inherited I can't get to see the specific cards in network tree just the processor (using RS 232 to go online). Do I have to connect to the network with a special card? Is the devicenet file used in a different way with SLCs? Thanks in advance.

The SLC lacks the easy CIP networking that ControlLogix has for "drilling down" to the DeviceNet from Ethernet or ControlNet. The standard way is to connect to the DeviceNet network directly, using a 1784-PCD or 1770-KFD interface. The SLC does support a "pass-through" driver. You must correctly set up the "g-file" in the 1747-SDN configuration in RSLogix 500 (365 or 391 words, depending on revision), then configure a "1747SDNPT" driver in RSLinx. This driver requires that you select another method for communicating to the SLC (like DF1, DH+, or Ethernet) and designate the slot number of the 1747-SDN. This driver is much slower than any of the others, but as I always say "it beats driving there". Check the RSLinx help file and the RA Knowledgebase for more information on setting up the "passthrough" driver.

For the pass-through, it is nice to create a shortcut to it as well, but I think the new RSLinx 2.52 may not be supporting shortcuts for pass-thru anymore? At least a customer of ours failed after upgrade to 2.52 from 2.51 and had to go back due to this. I believe Rockwell told him a technote is pending. Anyone have any info on this? Losing shortcuts may be a bad thing for a lot of people, though I don't know the whole story yet?

You need a copy of RS Networks. Depending on if you're using the PCMCIA card or if you are doing a pass through to the devicenet scanner, set up your network path. Go online using RS Networx and you'll be able to view the I/O Scan list and all the nodes on the network. Just make sure you have all the proper EDS Files Registers on your PC

Thanks all, I'll let you know if there are any problems.