Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcor

index addressing - confused

6 posts in this topic

have not used any indexed addressing with a ab plc, have a program where the FLL instruction, is FLL Source 0 Dest # 1:1.0 Length 32 I think it means that a 0 is placed in output 1.0 - 1.31 for a total of 32 positions. Is this correct? Not exactly sure what the # symbol means

first of all, it looks like you have some typos in your post ... if the following doesn’t make sense, please post again ... I might be misunderstanding your question ... in RSLogix5 and RSLogix500, the # character means that the processor is using “indexed addressing” ... the “index” is actually the integer-type location S:24 in the processor’s status file ... think of it as a built-in “pointer” ... another helpful word is “offset” ... in your example: this pointer will automatically increment from 0 through 31 each time the FLL instruction is executed ... this is how the processor keeps track of WHERE in the file he is currently working ... side trip note: in RSLogix5000 the # character is NOT part of an address ... in that software it indicates the “radix” or numbering system "style" being used to display a value ... example: 2#101 means that the 101 is a binary (2-based) value ... 16#101 means that the 101 is a hexadecimal (16-based) value ... now for your question ... if we make some assumptions (gosh, I hate that word) about your typographical errors, then your description of how your FLL instruction works is accurate ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Thanks Ron Yes I had some typing errors. Just got some new no line bifocal glasses yesterday, and having a hard time getting use to them. Just turned 48, and about a week ago, boom, could not hardly see the keys when typing anymore. Doc told me it would take a about a week. Now fully understand. Never used indexed addressing with the ab, will read up on it.

as for the glasses - be VERY careful going up and down stairs until you get used to them ... VERY easy to miss a step ... I tried the "no line" type for a few days and then gave up ... I'm 61 and up to trifocals now ... as for the addressing, the information posted by timbo_uk in this post might be helpful ... it shows how the S:24 register can be "manually" manipulated ... this is different from the automatic increment used by your FLL instruction - but the basic "nuts-and-bolts" of how the "offset idea" works might be helpful ...

Ron What I have been trying to do is figure out how you set up a analog card in the slc500. I have only used the micrologix 1200 and 1500, and with the slc, from what i have been reading in the manual for the 1746-I16I, you have to configure the card. On page 49 of the manual for the slc500 analog cards it starts explaing out to configure the card. I have a slc500 program that I now am working with, and in the program, the original programming has a section where he is doing Initalization for the card. I will attach that section. Could you or someone possibly explain in plain terms what the instructions are doing. I have read it, and just not quite understanding it. Any help would be appreciated. slc500_channelConfig.pdf

What he is doing is on first pass, setting all the register values on the analog card to zero and then writing the config values into the config words for the card if you go to data file N10:16 to 32 you will see values that he writes to the card. -32208 for example I like to write my config words constantly not just on first pass, just in case you need to change a value later on.