Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gamerayers

Omron CS1 MS-DOS serial comms

7 posts in this topic

Okay, I know this is going to sound very odd, but what we are currently using is an old C200 PLC and need to upgrade to a CS1. We have a DOS computer with some C software that will need to communicate serially with the CS1. The C200 used an IOMTOOL driver that looks to be Sysmac and I am not even sure how it communicated back and forth. So what I need to be able to do is to write a small program in DOS which uses C-mode or FINNs to communicate and get a response from the PLC to say it received a message. It won't be controlling the program just writting and reading from the DM. Does anybody have some sample DOS C code. I have some stuff in BASIC from the FINNS/C-mode manual, but my BASIC is well, dated as I know VB and VB.net and not old school BASIC. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Maybe I've misunderstood your situation, but I thought that if you can find out what the serial comm port settings are currently and determine the exisitng DM locations, maybe you can just set up the CS1 for the identical serial communication and use the same DM in the CS1, then you don't have to write any programs in DOS. I don't know, I'm probably no help, just a thought!

Also set the comm;s port on the PLC to be hostlink (matching the C200H system for baud , stop and start & parity ...typically set at 9600 7 E 2)

Well, I wish it was that easy as I figured this question would come up. Unfortionately, I am not even sure what type of port the C200 and PC communicate through. It is a Japanese version of the PLC which has a DOS PC built into it. Called a C200PC, and no, not the ISA version, a rack version that looks like a C200 and uses C200 I/O. So, pretty much I have to start from scratch for the serial.

Is this what you are talking about? I know nothing of this unit but a google search brought this up. Do you wish to replace the PLC and the data monitoring program? If so then I would use a new PC. Use the Host Link port on the PLC connected to a standard RS232C serial port on on the PC. Set the comms up as Sleepy suggests.

No, not that unit. Like I had said, not the ISA version. It is a C200 rack with what is called a C200PC. Basically, it is a C200 PLC and a DOS based PC as the CPU of a rack. Yes the idea is to setup a CS1 on a new rack, using the exsisting C200 I/O since they will work, and a small PC104 computer with serial. The biggest part is I was wondering if somebody had some sample C code for DOS so I can understand communication parts of it. Since everything I have found is Vb and the old code I have does not use a com port or anything like it.

Hello gamerayers (and anyone else who may be interested), FYI... The C200PC-CPU01 /15-G-V1 is an 'older' piece of kit, designed to be an "Open PLC", utilising the Intel PC/AT architecture, meaning that it could be programmed using user defined C routines etc. It can also be programmed using the ISaGRAF workbench software - allowing all IEC languages to be used, as well as allowing the Soft Logic Controller (whatever that may be) to be installed as part of the firmware. What you would use to read the program within this PLC????? , because they are not supported by CX-Programmer that's for sure. Happy hunting...