Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eluder

Controllogix losing communication on HMI

4 posts in this topic

Need Help!!! I have a controllogix processor that after 10 days or so the HMI lose communications to processor, I can no longer see the processor through RS Linx, I can see all the racks and all the I/O but I can't see the processor anymore. If I cycle power to the main rack the processor comes back up. But after 10 days or so it's gone again. The HMI's are on a seperate controlnet network. The I/O is on a differnet schelduled network, the plant is running fine, but like I said the HMI are losing communications. I even tried installing a Ethernet card in a remote rack and I still can't see the processor. ALso I have a panelview on a seperate controlnet network in a remote rack and it loses communications the same time as the HMI. Any suggestions? THanks

Does rebooting the HMI bring the connections back up? You might also try restarting Linx. What exact version of RSLinx are you running? Are you running it as a service or application? I suspect that your troubleshooting should begin with RSLinx. As a sanity check, note CPU and memory usage of RSLinx before and after the problem.

Need a little more information to give you and answer. 1. What Family of processor 5, 500, 5000? 2. YOu mention the HMI on Controlnet what version of firmware are you using in your adapter and scanner cards? Some versions have known bugs with time based locking up. 3. What version of RSlinx and on what OS PC? 4. Are you using only Controlnet or is your Linx Connection Ethernet or serial also?

There is a bug at least in the current version of RS-Linx (CPR9) where if you lose network connections with the ControlLogix processor and you are using OPC communication, RS-Linx will NOT restore communication until you drop all your OPC connections on a given driver and then reconnect them. The older versions did not have this problem. There is also a bug in some older firmware revisions (listed in the technotes) where after so many days, the processor will stop talking for 10-20 minutes and then magically restart as if nothing ever happened. In the firmware case, the solution is to upgrade to the latest firmware. In the RS-Linx case, the solution is to either switch to Kepware or Matrikon, or back to CPR 7, or wait until Rockwell gets around to fixing the bug. In any case this also indicates you have a second problem because you're apparently losing network connectivity every 10 days.