Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CH+

RSlinx

12 posts in this topic

Can anyone talk me through, selecting and setting up the correct driver in Linx. I am using the latest Version of classic and trying to get online to a Compactlogix 1769 L35e The Plc is plugged into a small ethernet switch along with a HMI Edited by CH+

Do you know the IP address of the L35E or is this the first time you have powered it on?

First verify that. Ping it. Attempt to connect to the internal web page (http://190.190.191.9/). If that works, then you've verified that communication works. Then click on the second icon (that looks like a plug). Select Ethernet/IP and "add driver". Save the results. If you are on the same subnet, then when you browse via "RSWho" (the first icon), you will find your Ethernet/IP driver and you should see your CLX PLC backplane and browsing deeper, the PLC, I/O, etc.

Thanx for that I'll give that a go.

ping times out, I have no reason to doubt the IP address document that I found, I have also tried to add the driver and getting the big red x, ihave tried the HMI IP with the same results. Just to re itterate, there is a 5 way ethernet switch with the PLC and HMI plugged in (and this is where I am attempting to connect too)

what should my Laptop IP/TCP be set to

That depends on your subnet mask to a certain degree. However, you would be pretty safe with 191.190.191.XXX, where XXX is anything other than 9, 0 or 255, assuming this is an isolated network. If you type 'ipconfig' at the command prompt you will see what your laptop is using for TPC/IP settings. Don't even bother doing anything with RSLinx until you can ping the plc. It would be a waste of time. Keith

Connecting to an Allen-Bradley Ethernet-based PLC: 1. Get the proper cable and verify that it is in good working order a. There are 2 types of Ethernet cables (crossover and patch); a crossover cable is for connecting a computer to another computer or similar device directly, whereas a patch cable connects a computer to devices that have connections through other hardware such as switches/routers. I do believe for computer to A-B PLC one will need a PATCH cable, even though you are not going through any other hardware (A-B designed that way). Someone can chime in to verify or correct me here. b. If you are having trouble, make darned sure that cable is working properly. Typical Ethernet cables are flimsy and fail very quickly in the industrial world. Buy good quality industrial Ethernet cables and cut-up what is known for sure to have failed. c. I always take my handy-dandy label maker and label all PATCH and CROSSOVER cables accordingly. This has bit most engineers in the tail at least once. 2. Get the correct IP address of the PLC you are trying to connect to a. For added measure, purchase a cheap label printer and print off a label with the IP address and affix to every PLC processor or inside of the PLC cabinet. This has saved my bacon so many times. 3. Make sure your computer Ethernet/IP port is set properly to communicate with the PLC you are trying to hookup with. You cannot make a phone call from the USA to Europe directly without entering the country codes. Ethernet/IP is the same methodology in that your computer needs to be setup (IP address octets) properly or have proper privelege (subnet masking) to make the call. a. Every manufacturer and OEM will IP number the PLCs on their machines to whatever the heck they want. If your employer is purchasing machines, there is very good chance that the bulk of them have vastly different IP addresses or networks already. This means you need to follow the rules for connecting up to each one, or go through and start re-addressing (and smacking Engineering for not having an equipment IP addressing scheme). b. Ethernet/IP numbers are much like a phone number, in that the 4 octets (groups of up to 3 numbers) are like (country code)-(area code)-(first number group)-(last unique number group). Computers, etc., can talk through (first number groups) to other Ethernet/IP devices via the use of Subnet Masking. The first 3 octets are often the same for all your equipment on that control network, but the last octet must be unique for every device on that network else errors will be thrown up for "duplicate Ethernet/IP address in use". c. Typically, Subnet Masking is 255 (block) or 0 (allow passage). An example may be 255.255.255.0, which would allow any device in the set (first number group) to talk within the network. d. 255.255.0.0 allows any device in any (first number group) to talk to any device. This is typical for most RSLinx driver setups. 4. So you are sure you have the proper patch cable and it is working properly. The next step is to pick an Ethernet/IP address that has privelege to talk to your PLC (i.e., the subnet masking is set right and the first 3 octet groups are the same as the PLC). Your computer has to use an address that is not in use on the network the PLC is on. a. If the network was designed by somebody else or you have no idea what is out on that network, you need an Ethernet/IP "sniffer" utility to tell you what is out there. b. I like to use FreeIPScanner (www.eusing.com). Set the first 3 octets the same (or it will scan for infinity) and to the PLC address (8.9.1 in my example). Enter the top and bottom range of the hardware you want to scan for (1 to 255 is your range). Scan away and look for the live device IP addresses in use. 5. Now you can ping what you think is the PLC IP address from what you know and what the IP sniffer utility found for you. If you see the PLC IP address in the IP sniffer utility, you are sure your Ethernet port is setup properly, you are sure your Ethernet cable is the proper one (patch) and is working properly, and you are sure that the RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver is setup properly, it is time to maybe call Allen-Bradley. The first thing they will have you do is what I have laid out for you. Edited by kaiser_will

Thanks, Have set up IP on my laptop, Subnet mask 255.255.0.0, IP 190.190.191.99. Will try that this morning

Thanks to all, setting the subnet mask and IP did the trick. Your input is very much appreciated CH+