Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
funfrok

QPC in multiple CPU setup

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm about to design a multiple CPU system with two motion CPU's and a QPC (PPC-CPU852). I think i need another PLC CPU. My boss wants to use Q00 if necessary but as far as i read from the manuals, Q00 supports 3 CPU max which makes it impossible. I don't need QPC to work as a PLC if PLC CPU is installed. I have setup QPC on my desk now with a Q02 CPU. Without multiple CPU setup, Q02 doesn't boot. With 2 CPU setup it works. I will install the PPC driver and try to get QPC to work as a PLC. I used QPC before but not as a PLC. Do anyone here has experience with QPC as PLC. What do you think?

i've only seen it once (i was helping colegue setup multi-cpu project). in that case plan was to use PC for logging etc but not for control (this was to be left to Q06HCPU). if i recall correctly neither CPU (QPC or QPLC) would work as standalone if the project is set as multicpu.

Thanks. We have changed plans. We won't use QPC as PLC but use it for programming and operation of machine. Though it is not hard to do simple PLC jobs, inputs and outputs etc. Motion control would be hard (if not impossible) i think. Now we have: Q02,Q172CPUN,Q172CPUN,QPC,HARDDISK

Using QPC as a PLC requires you write your own PLC code. It comes with drivers for the backplane communication but does not program in ladder logic. You are correct that basic CPUS (Q00, Q01) only allow 1 basic CPU, then one motion CPU, then one PC CPU. Why not use a Q173CPUN which can do 32 axes instead of 2 Q172CPUN for 8 axes each?

We will use different operating systems for those two CPUs. I'm not expert at the field but we need older version operating system for some operations. We already have working solutions so we will use them in one of the CPUs. Edited by funfrok