Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MUITECstudent

2 AB PLC connectivity

4 posts in this topic

I am starting a project involving 2 plcs. One (a remote plc) must be a SLC/05, however the other one (main plc) may be a contrologix. The main plc will have 60 Analog I/O and around 300 Digital I/O. Are these two easily compatible over an AB datahighway? The logic between the two is interlocked in both directions. If so, what type of communication protocol would be best?

The fact that you said "datahighway" automatically locks in the protocol...DF-1. You can't change this. You write everything with MSG statements. SLC and PLC-5 natively implement DH+ and DH-485. ControlLogix can do it via a DHRIO card in the rack. The number of I/O's is not a problem as long as you respect bandwidth limitations of what you are trying to do. For instance, you aren't going to get <10 ms responses over DH+ no matter how hard you try.

The communication between the SLC/05 and the main PLC can be any type of protocal we want, it doesn't have to be a datahighway like DH+. Can you communicate over ethernet between the two?

SLC 5/04 - DH485, DH+, RIO, DeviceNet and ControlNet comms possible Ethernet requires Net-Eni Device SLC 5/05 - DH485, RIO, DeviceNet, ControlNet and Ethernet comms possible. DH+ not an option. PLC 5 - DH485, DH+, RIO, DeviceNet, ControlNet and Ethernet all possible comms. Controllogix - DH485, DH+, RIO, DeviceNEt, ControlNet and Ethernet all possible comms. Choice will need to be determined based on Data Volume and response times.