Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimdi4

Need new laptop..any suggestions?

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I will need to get a new laptop, I'm still using a Pentium 3 with Windows 2000 and I'm going to startups with a latop running Contrologix ver 16 qand RSview Machine edition to edit the MMI screens all at the same time...ReBooting because the laptop locks up runing 100 % CPU...Bla Bla Bla you all know what I mean, well I got approval to get a new one, But looking at the Sunday papers and store adds, most of the laptops have the same stuff. I have a Toshiba P3 866Mhz, floppy drive, a "REAL" comm port, CD drive, One USB port, 2 - PCMCIA slots and a mouse port. The newer laptops have a newer style PCMCIA slot. I had found only a couple with the Older style PCMCIA slots (that I still need to use my old controlnet and devicenet devices for) and thats a Sony VAIO MODEL VGN AR520E and AR630E respectively. The new laptops today all have VISTA installed and looking back in the archives most people had negative comments on VISTA, but that was 6 months ago and now I was wondering if there are still issues with getting a new laptop with vista and using it with the Allen Bradley software and device drivers? Of course I'm going for as much ram and Hardrive and speed I can get...Can you share your laptop models and suggestions... thanks Jim Edited by jimdi4

Dell Latitude's have real serial ports and are available with Win XP. You will regret getting a Vista machine.

I'm currently using a Dell Latitude D620, has a real serial port and a PCMCIA slot. Still using my old DH+ card in it. You can still get WINXP SP2 from Dell, but you have to special order it. Ken

Is there still issues with Vista?

Yes, Rockwell does not support Vista ,yet. Software.xls

Very Interesting...I'm glad I asked...thanks to everyone for their input....BTW I just was looking at the Dell Website and the D620 was replaced by the D630... Edited by jimdi4

Whenever anyone mentions that they're in the market for a notebook, I feel compelled to mention the Panasonic Toughbook line. They're kinda pricey if bought new, but used ones are plentiful and reasonably priced. I use a CF-28 that has a PIII-1000 processor, 512MB, 160GB drive, and 13.3" touchscreen. It probably sounds a bit light on performance, but I have found that it is fast enough for just about anything you can throw at it. And it has a wealth of connectivity.. 3 PCMCIA ports, 2 mini PCI ports, serial, parallel, and USB.

I just recieved my new Dell this week. It is a Latitude D531. It has 4 USB, one serial, and one PCMA slot, not express. When I ordered I was able to specify XP and the PCMA slot. I have connected up to everything I need to hook up to with no complaints. I also run a virtual machine on it that is the hard drive from my old Compac. I still have stuff I work on that requires I run its software on a Win98 box, hince the virtual machine. The cool thing with dell is you can pretty much configure your own machine and they still sell XP for now. Just remeber to specify the PCMA slot and XP. As for Vista, AB is not supproting it yet and everyone I know that has tested it has had problems.