Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Upgrade rumors of RSView ME from 4 to 5?

7 posts in this topic

I had heard a few rumors of upgrading from version 4.0 RS View Me to RS View 5.0 wasn't that pretty. Is anyone else running RS View 5.0? How's it going? Any problems? Just wondered if the rumors are true, some of the people I know are running Vista, I keep telling them that Rockwell is not ready for Vista yet and to use Windows XP. Some of the problems they site are secuirty issues with screens being protected and passwords not working correctly in RS View 5.0. Just wondering what the thoughts are so far from any one else.

I do not have any users sucessfully running RSView Enterprise on Vista. If your contacts are intentionally installing the software on an unsupported OS, how can they expect full functionality ? RSView ME isn't perfect. But I have had much better experience with the version 5.0 editor and runtime than with any previous version. The installation is quicker and easier, the FactoryTalk tag browser works flawlessly, and all the language switching things that had me pulling out my hair are simple and straightforward in the new edition. I have had problems with user accounts when using Windows-linked security users, and when the Windows system was migrated on and off a Domain server. That was ugly. I try to run new releases of FactoryTalk software on VMWare virtual machines so the number of OS-related and other-software related dependencies is lower. You need gobs of RAM but it saves lots of time on reinstalls and patches.

I told them the SAME thing...ditch Vista. I was just wondering and I figured the root cause of their problems was Vista. I think there in a pickle with their IT people, they buy new laptops with preloaded Vista and IT doesn't want to wipe it clean for them and there you have it...Dell is getting worst and worst about it in my opinion, they don't have online options to downgrade without call them on the phone and saying, hey can you load Windows XP please?...Thanks Mr. Roach. Chris

My personal opinion (in no way Rockwell's): Dell is going to back off again on their Vista-only sales and offer XP on corporate accounts past May 2008. You will probably need to take extra steps and maybe extra costs, but you will be able to keep buying Dells with pre-installed XP Pro SP2 until late 2008. This should coincide with Vista SP1. My default recommendation may become Lenovo T60 instead of Dell D810. You can get them with no OS if you call directly, and maybe getting SuSe Linux preinstalled and running VMWare Station is a more stable way to handle the flux state Microsoft is in.

I was talking to one our IP guys about this as I am on the list to have my laptop replace/up graded. The company I work for has told Dell that if we can't get the lap tops with XP, we will not be buying there lap tops. I guess Dell will still sell us what we want for now anyway. Racer

The Offical Vista Downgrade Publication can be found here.

I'm not sure what Dell's official stance is. My impression is that they've always still sold with the XP option, but their web site that most people purchase through may or may not always reflect that. I have seen times on the site where you could only choose Vista. I've called in multiple orders and it's never been a problem with a Dell sales rep on the phone. They're always helpful, but often take awhile to get through to. Ken - Do you have better support/an easier time with SuSe and VMWare as opposed to: Redhad, Ubuntu, etc?