Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waterboy

Any new Interface options for PLC5?

7 posts in this topic

A while ago I was looking for a way to use my laptop that only had an expresscard slot (not pcmcia) to program PLC5 over DH+. I have since bought the DuelAdaptor from DuelSystems which does NOT work for the PCMK card (and BTW I told them proir to purchase what I was using it for and they said if it didn't work I could return it. When I told them it didn't work they wanted 20% restocking fee to take it back. Fool me once...) Does anyone know if AB has come up with any newer interface options so I can use this laptop?

Does your laptop have a USB port? Is your PLC5 an enhanced PLC5,11,20,30,40,60 or 80? If so then but a USB to serial adapter "Keyspan" and use the serial port.

The ones that have the serial port use it to connect to our Radio Telemetry. A USB to DH+ adapter is long overdue!

A Control Logix Gateway, expensive but works. now that's something we need minaturized

A lot of users go with the 1785-ENET "sidecar" to add Ethernet capability, but you asked specifically about DH+. There is a 3rd party 1770-KF2 copycat that will get you USB to DH+ connectivity, from www.protocolconverter.com. I have only ever seen their RS232/DH+ converter, but their datasheets say they'll do USB as well. I have heard about a development project for standalone USB/network converters from A-B, including a USB/DH+ module, but I have not seen a prototype or a schedule. Maybe at Automation Fair. DH+ is still be widely used, but I think the market for ExpressCard interfaces is very small compared to USB interfaces. We're not going to see a 1784-KTXEC. Once upon a time I made a big stink to my boss about wanting a -PCMK card so I could edit and monitor PLC-5 controllers while actually viewing the machines (the controllers were in the MCC room). I got back to my office after a trip to find a 200 foot low-capacitance serial cable, that weighed about 10 pounds.

How attached to you to that particular notebook? Seems to me that replacing it with one that has PCMCIA slots would be the path of least resistance

I'm fairly attached to it but I certainly see your point. Still a USB device should be made available for this purpose. I agree with Ken that expresscard wont get adopted, but USB should. Thats all I really hope for.