Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JeffKiper

Machine control vs. process

4 posts in this topic

First of all thanks for having such a great site. I have been in machine controls for 5 years and looking to move jobs. The company that I am talking to is process plant with (PID, instrumentation, & ect) What should I start learning first besides the process ?

what type of controllers do they use? ... since you've posted in the Allen-Bradley section, I'll assume (gosh I hate that word) that some flavor of AB is involved ... but is it PLC-5, or SLC-500, or ControlLogix, or ??? ... once we know the answer to that question, then we can give you some guidance ... case in point: it would be unwise to spend time and effort learning ControlLogix just because it's the latest and "greatest" - and then walk into a plant full of PLC-5 systems ... don't get me wrong, all knowledge is "good" - but it makes sense to concentrate your effort where it's most likely to be of immediate benefit ...

Ron didn't think of posting that. most of my experience is in SLC. They have a little bit of everything 5,Flex, Control, Compact, SLC & MLX. I think that I have the SLC & MLX down OK. I have not done any PIDs yet.

The most important skill for process I think is knowing how to tune up a PID loop. This is not an easy job. Hope the following link give you some hints. http://www.controlguru.com/pages/table.html