Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO.

Amp readings.

15 posts in this topic

Hello, I am working getting a amp reading off of some motors to read out on a panelview threw micrologix 1100 plc, I have done some searching and haven't found anything promising. What kind of device should I use to actually get the amp readings from the wires to the plc?

Not sure if I understand your question. Are you looking to measure current and then convert it to a 0- 10v or 4 to 20 mA signal?Is that the device your searching for? Or did you have some other plan for getting the signal into the PLC?

I use these and normally put a 1000MFD cap across the output of the Riley current transmitter (4-20 ma). There are two analog voltage inputs on the base. I put a 499 ohm 1% resistor across the input to force a voltage input... Buying an analog current input card is easier.

I made a similar project with a 1762-IF4 analog input and E82-20 50 curent transducer to 4-20mA. Info available on this links: http://www.gavazzionline.com/pdf/E822050.pdf Another way is to use a allen bradley devicenet overload, it give you more info like curent for each phase, warning set point, trip curent, ect... But I think you can't use it with micrologix plateform.

Take a look at www.loadcontrols.com And take a second to read why simply reading the amps is a lousy way to determine what the load on a motor is.

I do a lot of work with amperage and temperature controls. NK Technologies are my favorite CT's and most AB distributors carry them. Here is a link to the model with the 0-10v output you need for the 1100.

I found a device that transfers the readings to 0-10v dc, but I don't have a lot of experince creating analog inputs, I searched on here and found a few things. I am just measureing the amps of a motor, I found out about the SCP instruction but don't completely understand its functions. In need of some pointers. I have training and experince with plc programming, just been away from it for a while. Thanks.

If looking for "How To: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I would still recommend using 4-20ma for the inputs voltage inputs are more prone to error from voltage losses in the wiring and connections. They are also susceptible to RFI... Like if some on key a radio next to the wiring. Here is a sample SCP that I have used going into a 0-10 volt input on an 1100 with a 499 ohm pull down resistor. SOR SCP I:1.0 3112 15584 0 16383 N7:28 EOR First time to try to post a picture.... it didn't work.

OK, this is just for a prototype thing to see if it will work for what we need, so i don't see getting a whole bunch of new equipment, and we currently use the 1100 on all our machines. I think i got everything figured out now but in all the examples I have seen including yours, there is an actual input in the "Input" field, but I am unable to put an input in there. The selections does not high light the only thing it will let me put in there is N7 data, I also can not put a direct output i the output location.

Double-click on it and type it in (I:0.4)

OK i figured that out right after I typed that response, and I seem to have it figured out just have to figure out the right scale now, thanks for your help!

Good to here, post back if you need help with the scaling.