Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PdL

Installing multiple CXS versions on one system

3 posts in this topic

Most of my customer sites run CXS 1.3, but with the release of V2 I want to test run it and develop my new application in V2, I have some driver to test etc. But when I need to provide support on existing installations I can't work on the 1.3 applications in V2 when saving changes. So, I want to ask if anyone has a good and safe way to run multiple CXS versions on the same PC, besides using virtual machine software like VMware. I can imagine for instance installing the CXS versions in different directories would work, but how does it affect common files, dlls and does it give problems when the 1.3 runtime version tries to use CX-Server resources of a newer version than supported by 1.3 ? I don't necessarily need to have CXS communicate with actual I/O devices on my developing system, as long as I can save and build runtime versions in 1.3 which can run on target 1.3 systems without problems I am happy. For this purpose Citect has a multi-version software tool called "DLL Man", which works great. I have 3 Citect versions installed on the same machine and just run this tool when switching to another version. Any ideas, suggestions ?

Hello. To my I have been presented the same problem with CXS, but not alone with that.. there are many other programs that don't allow to coexist two different versions in oneself installation of S.O. The solution for the one that opted, it is generic: 1) you make a second partition in the Hard disk. In my case, I have Three 1) S.O. 1 2) S.O. 2 3) DATA 2) if you don't want install everything again, simply copy the 1ª in 2ª, with an appropriate soft, for example the GHOST of Symantec 3) a Soft of multiple outbursts installs, (him but simple possible) for example the OSL2000 Although it can seem a drastic solution, it is the only one sure for that if not never these insurance that problems don't arise with some DLL of the different versions..

So I guess BENNDERS idea is to have a multi-boot system with a partition just for the old software (and OS of course)? OK I guess that'll work too. All 'good' programmers will make their code backwards compatible and I'm *sure* the Omron guys are amongst them This means that version 1.3 exes should work on a machine with later common DLLs on so could be worth installing 2.0, and trying to copy a folder of the 1.3 exes. Old CX-Supervisor's always seem to work with new CX-Server's too so no probs One thing I wanted to say though - I know that when their exes run they automatically re-register their file associations (.SCS and .SR2). But this means that when you run from Developer or Windows Explorer it will launch the last executed Runtime version which could get a bit confusing. I guess you could just keep 2 shortcuts to the 2 Runtime versions and run them as needed - if you can cope with that you might be OK. Bertie B