Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gnex

Micrologix1500 Base power supply Max I/O

5 posts in this topic

Hello All! I have a recent project which I have to replace a PLC2 controller to a Micrologix 1500 (cheap). My problem is the PLC2 has 11 I/O module. Could micrologix base power supply can hadle up to 11 I/O module. Need your help? Gnex

I am going from memory here and would advise you check the manual from the Ab site but I think you can go 4 or 5 modules either side of the CPU and then have to add power supplies or something close to that. The ML1500 sounds a little weak for what you are doing. If the customer still likes his 1771 I/O cards and just wants a newer CPU I'd put in a Compactlogix Processor, CNET Card, ENET Card and a 1771-ACN15 module for the PLC 2. Just something to discuss with your AB tech rep.

From the A-B website for MicroLogix 1500: There is a MicroLogix I/O estimator tool available on that website (www.ab.com/micrologix) as well. Bob has a good point for going from PLC-2 to ControlLogix. There are quite a few migration possibilities from PLC-2 to PLC-5, SLC-500, or ControlLogix. I think I'd probably "aim low" and buy a SLC-5/03 controller with a 1747-SN RIO scanner, as well as a 1771-ASB adapter for the existing I/O chassis. Justify the extra money for the scanner/adapter pair by showing that you don't have to remove and re-wire the 11 I/O modules.

Very Good advice Boobfot, I was thinking also of replacing PLC2 CPU by a PLC5 but PLC5 CPU is more expensive. I think I have to inquire the price of Compactlogix and an Enet Card plus the 1771-ACN15. ..Also I will try to consider the advice of Eddie Willer I will always count on you guys, your great! Thank you Edited by Gnex

Word of caution if you are using certain 1771 Analog IO cards then CotnrolNet may not work. Check the Ab knowledge base or your AB rep for which ones. In that case RIO is still an option.