Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest hurler

Software to set up DeviceNet

8 posts in this topic

Hi I was just wondering whether the WS02-CFDC-E configuration software is essential when setting up deviceNet. From looking at the manual it seems that the Master User Allocation Setup table can set the input and output slave areas for each slave or am I incorrect with this. We have a spare DRM21 and a Mitsubishi FX2N 64Dnet slave module that I'am just playing around with. Is there any easy way of connecting these. If not do Omron suppliers give out Demo software or is there any sites on the net that might have a demo download? Appreciate any feedback Thanks

With out going into to much detail.... If u use the automatic allocation which in 80% of cases is the way to go, NO you do not require the DeviceNet Configruation Software.---Unless the Slave you are connecting to does not have a valid EDS file. The Omron DeviceNet Masters are probalbly the easiest to use on the market with this feature automatic allocation feature. Just a side note the New Omron devicenet Slaves DRT2 series are auto baud detection (a neat feature). And if u use the Master allocation area on the PLC for manual configuration then u also generally will not require the software. As i would understand it - set the slave number so that it would not clash with any other slave, set the baud rate to match the devicenet baud rate (125/250/500) get the cabling right (Comms White to white, blue to blue, Power..Black to Black, Red to Red) also be sure to connect the 24VDC power supply to the Black and Red Terminals. As to any other settings with the Mitsubishi i am unsure of...

Several points to consider: 1. Does the Mitsuibishi slave have a hardware setting for the node number or do you need the Mitsuibishi Devicenet software to set the node number? 2. In Automatic allocation mode, the DRM21 will allocate one 16 bit input word and one 16 bit output word for each node number. If the device uses more than one input/output word, then it will automatically allocate additional node numbers to the unit until it is satisfied. 3. If the above is true, then make sure there is no overlap with other nodes. Is this a C200HW-DRM21 or a CS1W-DRM21?

Firstly lads thanks for the replyies. I'am using the CS1 DRM21 and the Mitsubishi 64DNET that has the Dip switches to set the Mac ID, Baud Rate and operation mode. Sleepy, just on you mentioning "also be sure to connect the 24VDC power supply to the Black and Red Terminals" will I need a special network power supply unit or will any 24DC do? Just a bit confused as in profibus (which I have ever only used) it was just a matter of plugging in the cables and the power was generated within the modules. Also some Profibus aplications such as ASi would have it's own stable supply units. Does the EDS File come into play if I manually configure the Network with the Master Unit allocation setup or is this used purely from a software point of view. Again thanks for your help

Autoconfiguration....... Before trying manual configuration, may I suggest that u try Auto Allocation. In simple terms set the node numbers on the system (Mabey set the CS1WDRM master to be node 0 and the Mitsu to Node 2), baud rate etc to match on the system. Connect the communications power supply. Power up the system, Create an IO table in the PLC if u havn't already. After a few moments the NS and MS indicators should both be on. Then assumming the Mitsu is configure for 2words in and 2words out then look at the auto allocated words see attached. Since the Mitsu in this case is set for node 2 then on the mitsu side if you turn on the first bit of the allocated output word in the Mitsu then the in the PLC the input bit 3302.00 will turn on and Visa versa for the Outputs. In the PLC auto allocation looking at node 2, it is assigned word 3302 for inputs and 3202 for outputs. Since the mitsu in this case was set for 2 words in and 2 words out then correspondingly word 3303 for inputs and 3203 for outputs is assigned for the 2nd words also automatically. Therefore make sure that in this case that another device does not have node setting of 3, otherwise ther will be an address clash. With the Mitsubishi 64DNET (I assmue that this is a slave of course), are you able to configure the slave I/O or does it allow for say 1WORD in and 1WORD out, or 2Words In etc...... Communications Power Supply In the DeviceNet system, a communications power supply must be supplied to the Network that provides an output voltage of 24 VDC ±1% and the AC inputs and DC outputs should be insulated. The selection of a suitable Power Supply Unit is determined by picking one with with a current capacity greater than the total power consumption of all nodes to be connected. The Spec's of the Communcaitons Power Supply are attached. (from 200hwdrm21 op man) Basically all of the current Omron Switchmode Power Supplies meet this spec. Look at the following models. -- S82K, S82J, S8PS range.

DeviceNet Communicaitons Power Supply Spec

Will give this a go. I assume I can connect the power supply anywhere on the DeviceNet Line. I also have to get end resistors as the 64DNet slave module doesn't contain any. Is it possible to get a T-Junction that incorporates a power supply connection and end resistors so that I can link the Master onto 64DNet slave and then onto power supply with resistors. Can a resistor be added to the Master end (ie the DRM21) or will I need another end resistor junction. Eitherway, when I get these supplies in I'll implement what you said and let you know how I go. Will also try and post the User allocation method if I can get it to work. Again thanks for your detailed reply.

Yep, u can can T junctions as u implied, look at the Omron DeviceNet Promotional Brochure for more details.