Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patb63

RSLogix 5K v 16

9 posts in this topic

Just got started examining version 16 of RSLogix 5000. One of the interesting aspects I saw was the ability to use Socket communication. Anybody got any easy ways to explain to me how to do this? I've tried setting up a Generic CIP Msg instruction to send data to my PC using a vB program acting as the server. I keep getting an error of "16#0005-Class or instance not supported". How do I determine the instance for this application, or better yet, how should this Msg be sent? Thanks in advance.

I believe you have to use the EWEB module for socket communications. Go to the AB knowledge base and search for "EWEB" Edit: If you add and EWEB module to your I/O configuration, you get a lot of "socket" options with a CIP generic MSG.

Thanks for the reply Ken. I guess I was being naive in thinking just because I was connected to an Ethernet network (via an ENBT/A module), I could use all the options under the Msg command.

Socket service selections are available since ver 15. Nothing new in ver 16. As pointed above Sockets supported with 1756-EWEB and 1768-EWEB only. Technically you are sending socket message to EWEB and EWEB handles TCP/IP transport. Ver prior to 15 can use sockets as well, but you will have to fill Service Code and Class manually. Upcoming EWEB FW release will add more functionality to the Socket object, allowing to send broadcast and receive multicast. And the last thing - DON'T put EWEB in I/O configuration, it has nothing to do there, EWEB does not do I/O or producer/consumer tags. As you see all socket options available any time: Edited by Contr_Conn

Thanks for the info. We're going to try using the EWEB module to see if it will work for our application.

If your going to use the EWEB with VB then look at the XML option of getting data into your application. This is extremely simple. I'm not very knowledgeable of programming with sockets in VB but I would say there is more to this than the XML method.

I add my EWEB modules to the I/O config, but just to be able to use the instance name in diagnostic GSV tags and MSG paths. I don't think there are any detrimental effects to the program because of this, are there? Would you be able to use GSV tags to the module otherwise, without the instance name?

You can also use a WebBrowser control in your VB app, and load up an ASP webpage stored on the EWEB...very simple, and shifts the changes to the webpage source, not the application (depending on your situation/resources, that may be more convenient).

It consumes 1 additional connection, but I admit I do the same thing for the same reason, plus when you open the offline file it is obvious that you have an EWEB module in a slot and it is not a spare.