Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Forcing I/O in RS 5000?

4 posts in this topic

I couldn't seem to find anything in the searches for forcing I/O in a 5000. Being a noob in RS 5000 now, I was looking to force some physical I/O in a compact logix controller while online. Is that possible to do? Off Topic: Man...I really miss that right click "Find All"...when they gonna bring that back!

From the Data Monitor, you can set a force value in two ways. You can: § force the whole data value; for SINT, INT, DINT, and REAL values, the force is applied to all bits as one entity § apply a force to a bit(s) within a SINT, INT, or DINT Forcing a whole SINT, INT, or DINT To force a whole SINT, INT, or DINT, type a force value in the Force Mask column cell, using a decimal, octal, or hex format. For REAL values, you must use float or exponential format. To remove a force for a SINT, INT, DINT, or REAL, type a space. Forcing individual bits in a word To force an individual bit in a SINT, INT, or DINT, expand the word and edit the Force column. The force value is displayed in the binary style, where: § "0" indicates force OFF § "1" indicates force ON § "." or " " indicates no force Optionally, you can use the Force Palette to set individual bits of SINT, INT, or DINT types. When data structures are compressed, their forced bits are not visible, so the word Forced is displayed in the Force Mask field when there are forced members present.

teaching so no time to elaborate ... just wanted to caution you that the "Find All Forces" icon in RSLogix5000 does NOT necessarily "Find All Forces" ... specifically, it ONLY finds forces in the ROUTINES ... more specifically, it does NOT find forces in the TAGS ... worst case scenario: someone has placed a force on an "unprogrammed" output in the TAGS ... you hit "Find All Forces" and THINK that you've found ALL of the forces ... oops! ... the force applied only in the TAGS is NOT going to be found ... then you enable the forces and - well, use your imagination ... will write more as time allows ...

Also when viewing controller tags, at the top you may click "Show", then under "Filter On" select "Can Be Forced". This narrows it down to only the I/O that can be forced...then just look at the force column