Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coolhand

Problem with gaining processor control -504

13 posts in this topic

I have a pair of old 504's for home use. One works fine the other does not. With battery unplugged I shorted GND & VBB to clear old program. I'm communicating serialy. Part # 1747-L541 with O.S. 1747-OS401 ser b frn 7. I have two racks and the problem follows. Linx recognizes the SLC and when I attempt to download I get message: "Download Failed- Could Not Get Processor Ownership" I have swapped racks and the working processor accepts the program in both. The failed unit does not. Any hints to what is going on? Luke

What position is the key switch in ? Put it in the remote (or program) position if not already there. Edited by Mickey

Have you checked the jumper on the firmware upgrade pins?

Ken, I tried it in both positions. Right now it is in the same position as the working unit and that is on the right side according to the pic.

I added a card to the rack, went to the Controller, and then to I/O config and set it to "Read I/O Config". It recognized the new card and processor. I attempted another download and still have the same trouble. I notice that when the rack is powered up there is no Fault Light flashing and the DH+ port does not flash either. I shorted the pins on the other 504 and have a flashing Fault and DH+. It does recognize the serial cord. Since there is no program it should be jumping up and down for that. All the lights do cycle on power-up and I also unplugged the battery and get a light for that. Any clues here? Luke Edited by coolhand

Just another shot-in-the-dark but maybe this would be a good time to (attempt to) flash-upgrade the firmware. This requires the 1747-OS401 upgrade module that plugs into the backup memory module. If you don't already have one, your friendly local A-B distributor should have one to give to you or at least let you use for this test. Another random thought.. I wonder what would happen if you saved a program to a backup memory module on the WORKING SLC, and then plugged it into the flakey one? Would it recognise the program I wonder? Of course, this would only be useful if they're the same model and firmware rev.

My local support gave me this info from the Rockwell site. I brought the unit to work and tried downloading via DH+ and still got the same message. It seems that maybe this was taken oiut of sevice while an edit was taking place or had an EEPROM at on time and is still looking for it. I don't have a memory module to try the "back door" approach. So for now I'll have to wait untill I find one. -Bummer Thanks for the help guys, Luke ID 18360 Products Programmable Controllers SLC500 (1747) Category (optional) General Date Created 06/23/2000 Last Updated 11/03/2006 Access Level Everyone Prev. TN# G18579 Print Answer Email Answer http://""' target="_blank"> Download Failed! Could Not Get Processor Ownership. Question Download Failed! Could Not Get Processor Ownership Answer Download Failed! Could Not Get Processor Ownership Problem: The following error was generated when attempting to Download to a processor: Download Failed! Could Not Get Processor Ownership Cause #1: A previous Online Edit failed, thus leaving the processor in Online Edit status. Solution #1: Cycle power to the processor and re-download. If this fails, try solution #2b. Cause #2: RSLinx Super Who would see the processor. The User was even able to go Online with the processor, but would always generate the error when attempting to Download. The cause of the problem was that the Write Protected bit was enabled under the General Tab of the Channel Configuration. Solution #2a: Download using a different channel. Solution #2b: Factory default the processor and re-download without the Write Protected bit cleared. Cause #3 The user can go online with RSLogix 500 and monitor I/O. Online edits and program download do not function. The program Compare bit (S2:2/9) is set and an EEPROM is installed in the processor. Solution #3 If the Auto Load bits are not set skip to step 5. While ONLINE -- go to REMOTE PROGRAM and UNSET bit S:1/10, S:1/11 and S:1/12 Store to EEPROM while in REMOTE PROGRAM Save the program while in REMOTE PROGRAM Go OFFLINE Power down Remove memory module Power up Unset the S:2/9 bit Redownload the program without the memory module Save the program Power down and put memory module back in Power up GO ONLINE -- REMOTE PROGRAM Store to EERPOM Go back to RUN Catalog Number: 1747L511;1747L514 DocFullNum: G18579 Revision: Fixed in Revision: Package: Modual:

what version of rslogix you are using ? upgrade your software to the latest version is 7.2

I wonder whether you have tried to talk to SLC504 at different DH+ Baud rate. Just try the 230K DH+ baud rate. I remember once I have sth similar. Some dude changed the baud rate which is a very weird thing and we can't figure out why.

I've tried multiple baud rates. Still the same result. I can see it on the Super Who, load parameters from the rack, but can not down load to it. The plant I work in used to have about 30 5/04's w/ eproms that have been removed. I'm sure there are a couple around -just need to find the box. On another note: I just replaced a 5/04 last night. It had faulted out and could not communicat with it either. I would reset the processor to default and power-up. The fault light would flash rapidly, but as soon as linx tried talking to it the DH+ light went solid red. Trying to com with DF1 did not work either. The DH+ light would go red again -didn't even seem to want to talk. Anyone ever see this or know which boards could be swapped around? Thanks for all the suggestions. Luke

Well, I finally found an EEPROM. Since I have two idectical processors I started by saving a program (configuration) on the working 5/04. I then put defalted the bad 5/04 and installed the EEPROM and put it in the rack. As before I tried downloading to the 5/04 and got the same error and option to load from an EEPROM and this worked. I was now online in program mode but it did not want to go to Run mode. I went to the S files and toggle S:2/14 (i think) and a few others in that area to force it to load from the EEPROM on power-up, to clear the fault at power-up (fault light was on) and to go to Run Mode on power-up. I saved this set-up to the EEPROM and powered down and up. It came up in Run Mode. I set the S files back to ignore an EEPROM. It powers-up fine now. Thanks for the input! Luke

Thanks for posting the final results, this way if someone else encounters the same problem they will know what worked for you.