Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Splash

Excel & RsLinx

10 posts in this topic

Have an excel spreadsheet pulling data from a SLC via RsLinx. Now I want multiple computers to see the same excel sheet without having to install RsLinx on all the other computers. Any Ideas?

Never played with it, but from what I understand you can use NetDDE to share the data from PC to PC.

Assume all the other PC's are networked why not simply Share the Workbook using the built in Excel facility assuming you have got network supervision and you trust the people who will be using the workbook. Phil

I've done this before... But it's been some time. For starters, you'll have to use RSLinx Gateway, as it's the only one of the Linx programs that will support Network DDE. Then you'll have to turn on certain services, and setup NetDDE shares... See this artical for some further information. http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/ddeinfo.html#NETDDE

It's doing it because you don't have a DDE server (RSLinx) on the other computers. The ONLY way to do it with RSLinx, is to use the Gateway Version and Network DDE. (well, without installing Linx on every computer that wants to look at the data.) Wait... Just thought of something. You are trying to look at LIVE data correct? Because if you're trying to show them stored data (meaning stuff that is not being read from the PLC at that moment in time), then that's another issue that can easily be taken care of. Edited by trn_psycho

It doesnt have to be live data it can be off by a couple of minutes or so.

Just a thought, but you could have a macro (VBA code) that saves the data from your master sheet off into a "view by all" sheet. Problem is, Excel isn't really a multiuser application. While it can be used, you're much better off sending the data to an access database or something. What version of RSLINX are you running?

I don't know that this attachment help you or not? rslinx_netdde.zip

He's got a great point. Get the data in an Access or SQL Server data then use Excel as a front end.