Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nathan

Sun Project BlackBox

6 posts in this topic

The dork in me is coming out - take a look at this! Sun's on to something building a data center in a standard shipping container. Amazingly innovative ideas in terms of convenience factors, power distribution, cooling, etc. http://www.sun.com/emrkt/blackbox/ Watch the flash demo. You'll be impressed.

Who uses 3 pahse 208 volts ? I have been involved with directly and indirectly with companies mounting equipment into shipping containers... complete water treatment plants etc.... I also know the amount of cabling that is involved with a Semi Trailer mounted (containerised if you like) TV broad casting.... Impressed with the computing power... not the concept

208 3ph is the most common voltage for commercial facilities (ware house, office building, etc..) in the US. This gives them 3ph for air handlers and such, and they can get 120 to neutral, eliminating the need for stepdown transformers. You see the higher voltages at industrail facilities

So how many voltages do you guys have I thought you had 110V single 308V 3 phase oh just rembered you do have 200V 3 phase (208 doh!)

Under 1kv: 110v single 208v 3-phase (each phase to neutral = 120v) 240v 3-phase (phase a,c to neutral = 120v... phase b to neutral = 200v) 480v 3-phase

At least here in OZ we keep it simple and unitform for under 1kV 3 phase 415 V (A,B OR C to neutral = 240V) 1 phase 240V KISS people....