Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
308guru

Need water protection for my panelview 700

6 posts in this topic

I've got a new machine that is using a panelview 700. There is a very high possibility that water will be spraying around near the panelview and I'm sure on it. Does anybody make a cover either hinged, or something like a rubber sheet (think keyboard protector) that I could put over it for protection? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. Edited by mckeand13

Is it clean water or does it have chemicals in it? It has a Nema 4x, IP65 rating so it should be able to handle some splash though I wouldn't drench it. They are very vulnerable to moisture from the inside though. Make sure your panel is sealed shut. Especially those panels that have the screw latches that must be tightened down. Make sure they are tight. Check you fittings going into the panel as well

whatever you find to put over the display, make sure it won't leave a residue when removed. We had a guy put clear mailing tape over a PV to keep it clean. DOH we quickly removed it as soon as we found it but i am sure that if it was left on for very long, we would have had some sticky residue on the screen. You might be able to find something at a marine shop. I am sure they make overlays for their controls/gauges.

As far as the actual display itself use the antiglares. We used them in a steel plant and they worked great to keep the abrasive dust from rubbing spots in the screen For a Panelview Plus 700 it would be a 2711P-RGK7

If the Panelview doesn't need to be accessible while covered, Saginaw makes hinged window kits that would suit your purpose. Look under accessories on the webpage.

The enclosure and all wiring is well sealed so I'm not worried about water getting into the enclosure really. I know that the display will get sprayed with water sooner than later as we do flow testing. The product will be about 2 ft away or less and if an operator forgets to make a connection, well, it can lead to some interesting moments. The panel will have to be accessible to move between screens if needed. I can't get the thought of something like an iskin (silicone case) for an ipod. That would be cool. I'm not sure if that type of cover would work with a touch screen though.