Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
netdomain

Adding Device/Address Labels/Comments

8 posts in this topic

Hi again, How do I add the comments for any address? ----[X1]----------------------------------------------------(Y1)--- Push Button Motor How do I write Pushbutton and Motor for those addresses? I am using GX Developer, System Q. Thanks

i found it :) its in the menu, by clicking small pencil icons.

you should read the manual for GX Developer, it tells you about program features, devices (memory), addressing etc. if you need quick start, look for tutorials and code samples (Downloads section, Articles and old messages, use search function)

There are 4 types of documentation in GX-Developer. Comments are attached to an address, and show up each time that address is referenced. Max 32 characters Statements are text documentation attached to a rung of logic. They show as text above the runs, and multiple statements can be attached to a single rung. Max 64 characters. Notes are text documentation which shows up above output conditions, either coils or commands. Max 32 characters. Aliases are 8 character names attached to an address. They can be used instead of the address when writing code. These are all detailed in the GX-Developer manuals. The comments can be stored in the PLC. The statements and notes can also be embedded in the ladder logic and downloaded to the PLC in the Q Series. Keep in mind these will take away from available program memory.

interesting... are you sure about this? this is exactly what I would expect aliases to do but they don't work - at least not with my GX Developer version (7.11M) or I'm missing something. alias will show up instead of actual address but that's about it... for example if input X01FC has alias LIMIT_SW, typing instruction like "LD LIMIT_SW" doesn't work but using "LD X01FC" or ""LDX1FC" does. This means one has to lookup addresses all the time or memorize (hard to do with bigger programs). i cannot use that to be more efficient in programming (no WYSWYG or symbolic programming), in fact since it takes time to create aliases, so I'm wondering what are they good for, maybe display more ladder when comments are turned off. this would probably work better for japaneese character set because they should be able to tell more with fewer characters, not sure though... there are few more things on my wishlist. one day i will email it to guys at Mitsubishi but currently I'm still working on it...

To code by alias, you put a single quote in fromt of it, like 'LIMIT_SW.

hey it works... cool tip.

And if you type an alias you have not yet defined, it will prompt you for the address to attach it to.