Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattman814

RSlinx PCMK driver series a/b config error

12 posts in this topic

Running windows xp sp2 RSlinx lite 2.43.01.23 (CPR2) Allen Bradley 1784-PCMK series B card When I attempt to configure a new driver and set it to baud rate 230.4k, I receive the following error: "Unable to start the device because the baud rate specified isn't supported on the PCMK Series A" This is a on a new dell latitude D820 that I'm installing RSlinx for the first time. I know the card is good. I pulled it from the laptop I'm replacing. The card is recognized in device manager as series "B". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. I've made sure it is the latest driver from allen bradley. A coworker received the same exact laptop at the same time as I did and the card works fine on his system. I compared(repeatedly) my settings to those of my coworkers and those of the laptop I pulled the card from. I uninstalled and reinstalled RSlinx (using "windows install cleanup" to do so) to no avail. I tried stopping linx and deleting the 2 harmony files that get created with each start of the program, no help. I've been through numerous reboots and rescanning for hardware... For some reason RSlinx is convinced I have a series "A" card so it won't allow the 230.4k baud rate to be configured. I searched Rockwell Knowledge Base and many other help forums on the internet, finding nothing even close to this problem. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Have you been here? AB Knowledge ID 37114 then click on download driver then number 12

I remember reading somewhere that the newer laptops do not generally have PCMCIA slots anymore they have "Express card" slots instead, and PCMK card will not work correctly in the Express card slot. I copied the following from the AB knowledge base: In addition, Rockwell Automation does not yet support the new ExpressCard format, and the present PCMCIA cards; PCMK, PCD, and PCC will not work with any ExpressCard adapter that we know of.

One other thing, I remember from configuing this on a co-workers Dell is after configuring the driver in RSLinx it took a couple of minutes to start running. After clicking OK on this screen.

Thanks Mickey but that's not it. When I click OK it takes about 2 seconds to pop up the error. From then on the driver is errored.

A little comedy. When I was finished reading the AB Knowledgebase specific case number 37114 Mickey referred to I rated it and added comments explaining that this matched my problem but didn't fix it. I then explained my problem and submitted. Within a half hour I received this reply: >>Thank you for your feedback for Technote ID 37114. We strive to create valuable technical content to help >>you resolve your issues. >>This issue that you have seems to be fixed in the latest 1784-PCMK driver: 1784-PCMK drivers for Windows >>2000 and XP, ver. 1.1.0.0. Fixes problem in XP with 230k baud rate for DH+. [sep 17, 2002]. This software >>is available on the web at the following location: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/pccards/ >>If you have further questions, please do not reply to this email, rather contact Technical Support by phone at >>440-646-3434. A contract may be required to receive technical support. The tech there referred me to the same exact driver that is mentioned in the case I was rating in the first place...awesome.

Since you've tried the card in another laptop, and it works, that eliminates the card. But... have you tried another pcmcia device in your laptop, might be something wrong with the slot.

Yes, the slot seems fine. I inserted both memory & WIFI cards successfully. I just got it working however. Here's how finally: I noticed when I right clicked the card under device manager/ properties/driver tab/driver details button that the driver file was pointing to c:\windows\system32\drivers\pcmkwdm.sys, even though when I downloaded the latest from AB and reinstalled the card & driver I pointed it to the new location of c:\pcmk...so evidently even though i pointed it to the right file, it chose the one under windows. Since it apparently wants to run from c:\windows\system32\drivers\ I copied the new file right in there and tried again. Didn't work. So I figure back to the drawing board. Then I stopped linx again and deleted the 2 harmony files under C:\Program Files\ROCKWELL SOFTWARE\RSCommon I deleted these 2 files: harmny.rsh & harmony.hrc Tried again and viola! I had tried deleting those files previously but not with the PCMK driver pointed to the proper file. Not sure why windows would choose it's own driver location over the path I gave it - hell it even had the path of c:pcmk remembered when I reinstalled for the zillionth time - but the details showed where it was really pointing to. Thanks for all the help folks. Hope this helps someone else in some way.

Thanks for the info, glad you got it solved

for Known, Present PCMK Series B issues.. see tech note http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

This Tech note contains utility & driver for PCMK http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1