Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

GE Proficy Machine Edition IMPORT JPEG best way?

2 posts in this topic

How do you guys import JPEGS into your project from PME? I am asking this question to try and save some project memory space. I was doing it the lazy approach, by editing my JPEGs in Adobe Photoshop as a layer image file, then I would do a select all, COPY and then switch to PME application, pick my screen and do a PASTE. What I should be doing is probably a SAVE AS WEB image, then degrade the imagine a little. Or do BMP images to save more memory? Should I save as a BMP or a JPEG? I think I remember one of the GE tech guys telling me I should save as the BMP, because PME converts my JPEG to BMP anyway during the download process. Which format saves program memory? It seems to me JPEGS are smaller, this would be better in my opinion. Reason I asked is because I am getting a General Download error when I added my last JPEG image to my project, but I went through and took all of them out in order to download again. So I wonder if it doesn't like my JPEGS. They aren't that big anyway. Somewhere around 60K in size, but I do have about 15-20 of them.

It matters little to the amount of RAM used. The main difference in size between a BMP and JPG is when they are stored to disk. After the host software opens them into memory there is very little difference in how much RAM they consume. Any raster image will need HorizontalPixels * VerticalPixels * NumberOfPixelsforColor or for a graphic that is 300x200x8bitColor you will need 60Kbytes (480000 bits) of RAM to hold it. The best way to save space is by using graphics that are exactly the correct size, if the graphic is 600x400 but you size it on the screen to be viewed as 300x200 it still takes the RAM of the 600x400 image. AFAIK PME uses only 8 bit color. so if you really want to save on graphics memory use only .emf (Enhanced Meta Files) but these are vector graphics and a bit more difficult to produce unless you can use ACAD to export them.