Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

Vpn

9 posts in this topic

I did not want to hijack the other thread about VPN so I started a new thread over here. When I connect to my server at work through VPN I can’t see the programs currently running on the server, for example I have RSView32, RSLogix500 and my DVT Vision running that are minimized to the tool bar but when I dial in, I get a “clean” tool bar as if no programs are running. Our IT dept. and I set this VPN up and I am no expert [along with some other people] on this topic but is there a setting that can be changed that will display the current active desktop? Thanks, Bob O.

Just a guess. Are you logging on to the remote PC with a different user ID? Window usually has different desktops for each user. I believe you might have to log on as the same user, or setup the remote PC with remote desktop. I'm not that knowledgable with remote "stuff", and usually just have to muddle my way through.

Ken, Your guess may be valid. I do have to log in under one name to get on the network and then another to the server. They did this because they enable/created a roaming profile which "screwed things up" so we had to change the log in name on the server other wise my desktop profile was loaded onto the server every time I logged in. Thanks, I will look into that. Bob O.

Bob, VPN connects you to the network as if you took your computer to work and connected it locally onto the lan, only it does it over an encrypted tunnel over the internet. So you would need to set up remote desktop or run some type of VNC software to see the other desktop. The VPN gets you on the network, now you need something to give you access to the other computer. Edited by glaverty

I can connect from home without any problems and run software but it doesn’t show the currently running software down in the tool bar and now that I think about it some more it does the same thing while I am at work connecting from my desktop to the server.

Update… Our IT dept. runs into the same issue when they connect from home to different servers and I was told, “We need to look into that”. I have to think it is something simple but just need to find that simple fix.

We had to change this under the short cut properties %SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe To this C:\WINDOWS\system32\mstsc.exe /console Thanks for the help

So..... Now when you VPN in to the PC, you see the "running" desktop? Good thing to know, I'll have to put that in my tidbit file.

Ken, I can see and use the programs that are running by making the change mentioned above, but it has brought up some other small issues that IT and I need to work on. I believe a setting might need an adjustment to make it more users friendly. Bob