TigerLily

FINS/UDP Help to a Siemens System

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to use FINS/UDP network to communicate with a Siemens device (at a customers site over seas from my home office), today I attempted to set up a SEND command based on information my customer received from a local Omron representative but had no luck.  I feel like I am missing something in a setting somewhere, does anyone have experience doing this?  I am using a CJ2M-CPU35's built in Ethernet IP port which is also communicating to 5 other Omron devices over Ethernet IP, so I am wondering if there is an issue having both networks.

Thank you!

FINS is an Omron protocol.  The Siemens device will not be able to respond to it automatically.  It may be possible to write some sort of custom code on the Siemens side to interpret the FINS protocol, but would likely be a challenge.  You could use the FINS Command to communicate between two Omron PLCs.

My customer had a "how-to" email from Omron here in Germany detailing what to do...I just could not understand all of it because it was in German, (I am trying to get a copy of this so I can share it with you).  On my end (the Omron CJ2M-CPU35) it just had some setup for a SEND command and then the execution of the command and some error checking.  I programmed it in the way they showed it on the sheet but I think some of the settings they had may not have matched my configuration...I was also worried it would interfere with my Ethernet IP network.

It will not interfere with your EtherNet/IP network, but the Siemens device will not respond, unless they have FINS built into one of their devices and I am unaware of this option (this would be very surprising to me if this was the case).

I think that will be okay for me at least if they don't respond, I don't know if it will cause issues with the command...our equipment is communicating to their Central Monitoring system which is the Siemens so all I need to do is send them our system status and some analog readings...its 320 words worth, but still just need to send/output from the Omron PLC to them.  I was able to get the information that they were given here in Europe...the two PDF files are directly from Omron and the word file is from another vendor who successfully implemented the communications. I will try to upload them in another post...

1 person likes this

From the Word Document:

5aa001fe038ad_FINStoSiemens.jpg.5f6332a5

This is exactly what I meant by this statement:

20 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

It may be possible to write some sort of custom code on the Siemens side to interpret the FINS protocol, but would likely be a challenge.  

My comment about the code being a challenge was based on my knowledge of Siemens PLCs (zero knowledge)....

Side note:  If you had an Omron CJ1W-ETN21, I would have just recommended using socket services to send a generic UDP command from the Omron controller to the Siemens controller.  However, the built in port of the CJ2M-CPU35 does not support socket services, so this is a great solution.