gbradley

MonitoringServoMotorTemperature

5 posts in this topic

Is there a way to monitor the Temperature of a Servo Motor on Allen Bradley Servo motors... MPL?

PLC: CompactLogix 1769-L30ERM

Drive: Kinetix 6500  

Motors: MPL-B310P-MJ72AA, and  MPL-B560F-MJ72AA

I would like to be able to monitor the temperature, and flash a warning screen on the HMI if the Motor gets too hot, or perhaps shut down the operation before the Motor overload trips.

The drive and PLC are connected through Ethernet IP

What I don’t know is if that Motor heatsink temperature information is available to the PLC.

Two excellent Knowledgebase articles (TechConnect required for both) regarding the various heatsink and embedded temperature sensors in various Kinetix motors and drives:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/62638

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/62638

The Motion Axis parameters should have the motor stator temperature as an available feedback parameter.

Your motors are also equipped with a high-resolution absolute encoder.   The second Knowledgebase article I linked to tells you how to use a message instruction to get the value being read by the temperature sensor embedded in that encoder.

I like your idea.    A short trend object that shows the temperature would be even more useful to show the operator if the motor has been running hot all the time and just eased over the threshold, or if it was heating up quickly because of an abnormal condition.

1 person likes this

I´m in a same situation, i´ll be working with series kinetix 6500 in where the main client requirement is monitor the temperature of several devices this post looks to be very helpfull, but i do not have a techconnect privilage in my account of rockwell automation and seems to appears not available the link information any more also for check the answers posts however gbradley or  Ken Roach could you told me more about how configure that msg instruction for obtain that temperature value i´m still under emulator for that reason i only see motion tags related to position and velocity so i´m doing research before being working in field just for be prepare in any case. thanks for any sort of information

The KB article refers to a manual: MOTION-RM003I. I glanced at it quickly and it looks like the information you need is in there, but I've never done it so I can't guarantee it.

Actually, I think the manual was attached to a different article that was linked to from the one Ken Roach provided. It was also a TechConnect only article.

Edited by Joe E.

I have been trying this, but I keep getting a constant, that is not changing. 25.878906

When configuring the message, I am not sure what the class: is.

If I try and change the attribute to something like 643, the testmsg.er bit lights up.

Like wise If I try and change the class: to anything besides 42, the testmsg.er bit lights up.

Comms_03-11-2020.PNG