Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
denise01

Servo Control

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I am looking to fit a G5 Servo motor to one of our Indexing units. At the moment the Indexing unit is a 750 Watt motor driven 360 degrees through a Omron J Type Inverter, I am looking for better speed and accuracy. Have been advised to fit a CJ1M CPU22 PLC as we already have CJ1Ms . Would a MX2 Inverter cope with these Servos or would I have to fit a specific drive. Not sure about programming for CJ1M we presently use a proximety sensor to tell the unit to stop through Dynamic Braking. Was advised that using Mechatronic II was also an option. Would appreciate any advise. Regards. Peter

Hello 1. A G5 motor requires a G5 drive; an MX2 isn't suitable at all. 2. CJ1MCPU22 is a great choice if you need 1 or two axes of point-to-point control. CJ2M doesn't have an exact equivalent, although an additional card (MD211) can be fitted to replicate pretty much identically. There are pre-made breakout cables to connect CJ to the G5 drive. 3. Mechatrolink2 is just bad advice for a 1 axis system imho. Over 3 axes and it comes into its own, though. 4. Be aware that a 750W induction motor won't necessarily mean a 750W servo is suitable. 5. A servo will give you infinitely better accuracy, and probably better speed. The motor selection, and especially the gearhead choice is critical. The axis inertia and desired motion profile will be required for this. 6. Using a CJ, the drive will be in pulse control; there are specific Pulse control instructions. You'll nedd an ORG to home the axis, and then the PLS2 will do everything else you need. 7. I'd fit an end of travel at each end of the axis (they can go to any inputs on the CJ) and a home proximity switch (there's a specific input for this). In this instance, read 'proximity' as 'I am in the proximity of the origin'. The actual 'home' switch is ideally the motor's Z pulse. The premade cables wires this through to the correct input. Pp

Mechatrolink may be useful even with a single axis, if the servomotor absolute encoder is in use. No matter what control method is chosen, I would consider CP1H as much more cost-effective solution.