Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe E.

ControlLogix last edit

10 posts in this topic

Is there a way to tell when the most recent edit was made to an online processor? I have a 1756-L55 whose program archive doesn't match the PLC and would like to know when the PLC was last changed. Is this possible?

Unless using FactoryTalk Asset Centre the only way to "time stamp" any application edits is by implementing Controller Logging: Chapter 3 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm015_-en-p.pdf

Is this supported in the L55, v16? If so, how would one access the data in the logs? These processors do not have removable memory.

I guess I sent you on a wild geese chase... Controller logging has been supported starting with Revision 17, hence not applicable for L55 controllers... Your only option will be FT AssetCentre or comparing .BAK files. Edited by dmargineau

OK, thanks for the info. We don't have (nor are we likely to get) AssetCentre, and the .bak files aren't very helpful in this case (don't know which computer was used and haven't been able to find the files in the usual places on the usual computers).

Whoever is making changes to the running system, and not updating the backup files where everyone expects them to be, should be found, reprimanded for his carelessness, and re-educated as to the importance of proper backup procedures. Without knowing what edits were made, it opens up all sorts of possibilities of incorrect system operation, damage to machinery, or worse still, danger to personel. If, and it's a big IF, these "rogue" edits continue unchecked, then you have a very strong case for AssetCentre, or you could consider upgrading the controllers so that logging can be implemented. At the very least, you could put the keyswitch into RUN, so that it would need to be turned to REM for edits to be made possible. The keyswitch position can be monitored using a GSV (ControllerDevice.Status.13..12), and the times of changes logged to internal tags. At least you'll know when even if you don't know who, AssetCentre will tell you both, and specify all and every change that is made. This rung will do it .... Edited by daba

There is a utility program called "RSLogix 5000 Compare Tool" that comes with RSL5k. (optional install) It won't tell you when changes were made, but it will show you what is different between your archive and the running program.

I already used the compare tool to find the changes (nothing profound or remotely dangerous, this time). We're already investigating our "path forward", as we have about 2 dozen or so L55s in service (along with at least a couple dozen PLC-2s and almost that many PLC-5s, but they're a different story). At this point, even with the logging enabled, we would know when, and which computer was used, but probably not which person. I won't get anywhere at all reprimanding folks, what with the union rules. About all I can do is ask very nicely that they not make everybody's job harder. Hasn't worked yet, but I guess there's always a small chance... I may play with the key switch idea some. Since AssetCentre has "Rockwell" written on the box, it's probably fairly expensive. Not only that, considering the trouble we already have keeping all the software packages playing nicely with each other, I'm not sure I want to add yet another layer of bits and bytes between our computers and the machines.

Joe E. - We drank the koolaid where I work here and bought the AssetCentre. Can't say what Engineering pays for the support contract to keep all our stuff legal and current, but AC plays nice from what I've seen. It also touted to have a security feature we've not toyed with much yet that allows you to restrict who can program what. So far all we've done is restrict our Regulatory/Security PLCs to Engineering Only. LEaving the rest of the plant wide open for reqistered users.

I discussed this with a colleague who said that AssetCentre only works if your equipment is properly networked. If that's the case, we have a problem. Some of our network-able equipment is properly networked, some is improperly networked, the rest is not networked. Our laptops do not have reliable network access and the wireless network is a joke (not a very funny one, either). If our wireless network were reliable, we could greatly simplify our archiving problems by simply eliminating local copies of the projects, but it isn't, so we can't. I inherited a serious mess that's going to take a while to sort.