Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
semilogical

New to Control Logix and need some help

7 posts in this topic

Did I say SOME help? Probably loads of help. I am attempting to get acclimated to the new format of this control system and am having trouble grasping the format for the physical I/O points and how they would be referred to regarding physical assignment for elementary wiring diagrams. I fully understand the PLC/SLC formats of I:010/00 etc, but the Local::0:C type designations are throwing me for a loop. I am assuming that Local refers to the chassis that has the proceessor in it. I also assume that the Local:0 means it is slot 0. and the C or I or O refer to Controller, Input and Output. The rest seems to be getting me somewhat confused. Local:2:I:Fault and Local:2:I:Data.0 seems to be just the start of where I am getting totally lost. I have attempted to go through the offline computer based training course. It is mostly relating to the RSLogix5000 software and doesn't really touch on the program development aspect of the system. I understand that you have to do the lions share of the documentation prior to programming but it seems that is another training course that costs an additional %750 and to date the company is feeling like they have spent enough money so that's why I'm struggling with my project. Any help would be appreciated. Pointers to documents in Rockwell's world would be great as well. Did I mention that this is a SIL2 application? Tht complicates the situation to some extent. My email address is echief@terraworld.net Edited by semilogical

First, take a deep breath. It is hard at first, but I love it now Second, some of the features are special for the module, but basic Discrete I/O would be Local:2:I:Data.0 would be to read input 0 in slot 2 Local:3:O:Data.0 would be to turn on output 0 in slot 3 Post which modules you are working with and I can help you with your addressing BIG WARNING - Controllogix I/O goes right to left when you are wiring them. Just look at the wiring diagrams. They are very clear

Have you tried the Rockwell Automation Literature Library. You might also find the Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase useful. Point of Clarification - The login if you use for Literature Library and Shop Rockwell Web pages is not the same as the knowledgebase login. At least not since they upadated the knowledgebase.

See link For ControlLogix products certified for SIL 2 http://www.rockwellautomation.com/products...fety/index.html

I am using the following I/O modules: 1756-IB16D 1756-OB16D 1756-IT6I 1756-IF16 The system is a BMS control that I am going to program to SIL2.

Slot 1 - IB16I Local:1:C - These are you configuration data. Right click the module and select properties to set these Local:1:I.Data.0-15 - These are your inputs you address in your program Local:1:I.Fault.0-15 - These tell you if a point is faulted. I think the only fault for this module is an open wire Local:1:I.OpenWire.0-15 - Specifies which point has an open wire Slot 2 - OB16I Local:2:C - These are you configuration data. Right click the module and select properties to set these Local:2:I.Fault.0-15 - Tells one of your outputs are faulted. See other diagnostics below for details Local:2:I.Data.0-15 - These are a mirror of your output states Local:2:I.FuseBlown.0-15 - The specified outputs fuse if "blown" Local:2:I.NoLoad.0-15 - The specified output has no wire connected to it or the device connected to it has an open circuit Local:2:I.OutputVerifyFault Local:2:O.Data.0-15 - This is where you turn your outputs on and off Slot 3 - IT6I Local:3:C - These are you configuration data. Right click the module and select properties to set these Local:3:I.Ch0Data - This is channel 0s reading. May or may not need any of the others. Let me know what your looking for before I go through all of them Slot 4 - IF16 Local:4:C - These are you configuration data. Right click the module and select properties to set these Local:4:I.Ch0Data - This is channel 0s reading May or may not need any of the others. Let me know what your looking for before I go through all of them

for sil 2 application you have to select the hardaware Series, revisions & firmware Series, revisions as per the document above