Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rwraley

Text to LCD

13 posts in this topic

I am new to the whole ascii text to integer thing. Can anyone explain the easiest way to display text on the LCD screen of a Micrologix 1100 from the user program. I am assuming that I need to create a string tag that contains text converted from an integer.

You can mix different data types on the display. The easiest way to learn this is just to play with it is RsLogix 500. Put an LCD instruction in. Open it up and you will see your 8 tag assignments. As you fill them in it will give you a sample of what it will look like

Thanks so much for the reply. I have accomplished that already and have no problem displying integers. What I need is how do I get the text into a string like "Running" in your example.

Create a data file, type string, length, the number of strings you wish to store. ST27 is mine in the example but any number will work Open up the data file and double click on the String Text column for the string you wish to edit

How do you set the string length? it is set to 0 and when I type in the text it kicks it out.

String length is the number of characters in the message. The PLC automatically generates that number.

It doesn't for me. It automatically sets the string length based off of what you type. What are you trying to put in? We might be dealing with an illegal character

Well then I have got a problem. because as I type in the text the number stays at 0 and when you enter the text it disappears.

Are you online? Can you post your program. Here see how this program works rwraley.RSS

Duh!!!! I got it, I'm just brain dead this morning.Thanks for the help. While I have got your attention how would you sync RTC system time in 12 ML1100's over ethernet from RS View 32? Can I just do a multi hop message?

The RTC on a Micrologix 1100 must be set from somewhere outside of the Micrologix 1100. In otherwords where you can use a SSV in RsLogix 5000 to set the time on the processor, there is no way to change the RTC values in the program. This is normally accomplished with a message instruction. I don't know that RsView can send the message to do this or not but I believe the Logix 5000 Clock Update tool that can be installed on a PC can.

Well I finally finished the RS View32 interface for the multiple ML 1100 project that I am designing with OPC over ethernet to all (14) units and I have to say "WOW" these little units with onboard ethernet are the bomb!!! I have never used OPC communications before and was supprised how realitively easy it was (just a few bumps in the road) Now I just need to figure out the whole DDE thing so I can set values (from excel) to registers with the push of a button, I can set them manually in the interface but there are 24 per processor(x 14) and thats alot of data entry each month. Thanks for all the help!!

Yes the Micrologix 1100 was a very nice addition to the family. I don't know how many times I put Micrologix 1200s and 1761-NET-ENIs on machines for simple logic and monitoring. The Micrologix 1100 is a better solution and cost half of that combination