Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scott01z

RS Logix 500, Version 5.00.00

7 posts in this topic

Thanks to Gravitar and TWControls for your replies. As it turns out version 5.00.00 doesn't know about Win XP, as far as it is concerned NT 4.0 SP4 is the latest and greatest. Well anyway, I was able to obtain a copy of RS Logix 500 version 6.30.00 (CPR 6). The laptop came to me with Win 98 2nd already installed but I didn't upgrade it to XP. Instead I installed version 6.0 on my desktop at home which does have XP SP2 installed. Now I have a whole new problem, I must be one of the few that this has ever happened to. I loaded RS Logix 500 Version 6.00.00 on my desktop, I then EVMoved the key from "A" to "C" without any snags, RS Logix runs fine. The problem occurs when I try to EVMove the key from "C" to "A", i get an error message that states "Drive is not ready or disk is unsuitable". I can move the key between computers on my home net but not back onto the Master Disk. The message changes to "Target Disk Unsuitable-Missing Volume Serial Number" when I try to EVMove the key with Win 98 on the laptop. Did I somehow mess my Master Disk up? or is it something to do with ???? does anyone have a clue? Thanx Scott S.

Always make sure that RSLinx is shut down before doing any EVMove-ing.

I'm pretty sure RSLinx is shut down but I will double check.

Normally you can allways use the original master disk. Dont know what goes wrong there. But you can also try a normal floppy. If you want to use just any floppy disk then make sure it has a serial number like the error message suggest. Preformatted 3½" floppies dont have a serial number. And how to set a serial number on a new 3½" floppy ? Just "quickformat" it. (dont do that on the original master disk). Edited by JesperMP

Thanks for your suggestion but I already formatted a 3-1/2" floppy and EVMove refused it. Any other suggestions? Scott S.

Thanks to JesperMP on your "Quick Format a regular floppy" suggestion. As it turns out, when i formatted a regular floppy on my machine running Win XP and then attempted EVMove it was rejected. Then, sticking with the "Quick Format" suggestion, I formatted the same regular floppy on my laptop running Win 98 and it EVMoved to the regular floppy like it was born to do so. The funny thing is when I EVMove from the regular floppy back onto Win XP it moves without any trouble but XP wont EVMove it back onto the regular floppy. Its ok though because XP doesn't necessarily need the key physically moved onto "C" drive anyway, it just needs to get a look at it. Incidentally, My XP machine is running RS Logix 500, Version 6.30.00, and my laptop is running version 5.0.0.46. Thanks to all who replied Scott S.

Thinking again, I may have stated something partially wrong. Not sure about it, but I think that the ability to use a normal floppy was only possible up to Win98. So maybe it is not possible on Win XP. There are 2 other possibilities. 1. Use a portable harddisk. It must be a device that doesnt get listed as a "removable media" under windows. A USB flash disk will not work. But a USB harddisk may possibly work. I do this some times. 2. Find the EVMoveCF utility. With this you can move the license to even a USB flash disk.