Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mbrugman

L60M03SE and firmware 15.04

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried flashing a 1756-L60M03SE processor from v15.03 to v15.04 firmware using a compact flash card? I've flashed brand new L60M03SEs (which ship with v1.4 or something like that) to v15.03 using the CF card, but I've killed two processors trying to go from 15.03 to 15.04. By "killed", I mean that I have a solid red LED on the OK for both the CPU and SERCOS sides, no other LEDs. There is no communications with the module, either through the backplane or the RS-232 port. I've got a case started with RA, but was just wondering if anyone else has been able to flash up from 15.03 to 15.04 using the CF card... (Yes, I can flash from 15.03 to 15.04 using ControlFlash). I'm kinda out of processors and need to get things running... Thanks, Matt ----------------- "Initiative comes to thems that waits." - Anthony Burgess

I don't know what would cause that but would like to know also. Can you keep us posted on what Rockwell Support says? Thanks TW

Last I heard, they couldn't duplicate it; but I sent them an image of the CF card and the original code. We'll see what happens... Matt

This should work, I don't recall any issues. Are you using generic CF card by any chance? I've seen quite a few problems with generic CF cards because of timing issues.

No, I'm using the genuine 1784-CF64 overpriced AB ComplactFlash card.

Finally got my answer from support..... The -L60 series processors are supposed to revert to their "out of the box" version if flashing fails; but those are the only modules that will. The -L60M03SE is a combination -L60 processor and SERCOS module. My problem was this: The firmware is on the CF card; on power up, the processor checks to see if its firmware is older than that on the card. If so, flash the processor. Next, it checks the firmware in the SERCOS module. If older, flash from the CF card. The flashing completed on the processor, but was interrupted by the assembler on the SERCOS card. That effectively caused the SERCOS module to "brick". I had instructed the assemblers that on the first power up, they had to leave the rack powered until the OK LED on the processor turned steady green (to ensure that the flashing was complete). On power up, the processor does its own little checks, then goes to see if the SERCOS module is working. If it isn't (and wasn't in my case), the processor goes into non recoverable fault and turns its OK LED red. Gotta send it back to RA for repair. There's going to be a tech bulletin on it shortly.

Thanks for the update