Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CCSI guy

PC to PanelView 600

9 posts in this topic

I've got to get a spare PanelView 600 out to be installed, and I'd like to put the application on the panel before I send it out, because my company doesn't have a lot of people who can do it in the field. The PanelView doesn't have RS232, though, only DH485. I'm having a hard time firguring out how to get RSWho to see the PanelView. I found a 1747-PIC and downloaded the latest driver and followed the bulletins and stuff. So I think that part should be OK. I added the PIC to RSLinx, but it doesn't see the PV. Then I read on the forums that the PIC doesn't play with PanelView because it still needs 24VDC from somewhere. This seems a little odd, because I've got the PanelView powered up, so you'd think there would be 24V somewhere... but there's not. Option 1) One solution, from what I have read, would be to buy a 1747-AIC, which would provide the 24V power up the DH485. Can anybody confirm that this solution works? But, naturally, I was really hoping to avoid spending any money. Option 2) Would it be OK just to take a spare connector and wire up the 3/8 and 4/7 pins to the same 24V supply that's powering up the PanelView? I've already let the magic smoke out of another device recently, so I really don't want to smoke this PanelView. Plus then I'd spend a lot more $$ replacing the PV than I would have by buying the AIC in the first place. Option 3) Rather than running through the PV, I could just hack into the PIC's cable and put the 24V right there. That's probably better than #2. Does anybody know if that would work? Option 4) Can I use the 1747-UIC? Does it actually work? I have had bad luck with USB converters in the past not working well, so I didn't want to go spend money on one just to find out it doesn't work. The best part about the UIC is that I could finally put the older laptop (the one with a real serial port) to rest and just use my normal laptop (with no serial port).

The PV using DH-485 should show up in Rslinx. I am using RSlinx v2.5 Lite. I am using a PCMK card with DH-485 cable. (Using thePCMK driver) I can see the PV in Rslinx no problem. (Make sure that you boot pressing the right-hand bottom corner) otherwise, without a program, it is in ERROR, and will not communicate. I am testing one as we speak, and all is well. I will test with a PIC if you want.

24 volts has nothing to do with this. I am using a PV900, with Touch only. DH-485. (2 ports, 1 for networking, the other for the NET-AIC module if required.) I am powering the PV with 120VAC.

Hrm... OK. I just thought from the other posts that I read that the reason the PIC didn't work had to do with there not being any 24V as needed for the DH-485 side of the PIC. Maybe I am missing something.

See this: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=24416

Thanks, Mickey. I had found that thread a little while ago. That's how I knew I needed to power the PIC. I'm pretty sure using an AIC will work just fine. I just don't have one right now, so I was looking for a cheap workaround.

Guys, You don't power the PIC. You power an AIC module, SOMETIMES. Your PIC is powered through the device itself. Your best bet is to use the PCMK card and cable if you have one.

Ok maybe I'm missing something because I just skimmed through the thread, but you're trying to download a panelview app to the terminal before you send it out in the field, right? Why don't you get a PCMCIA flash card and transfer it that way? Sure beats trying to rig up a makeshift DH485 download.. You do have to power the PIC. It needs more than the RS232 port can give it. There's two pins on the 8-pin modular plug that are designated for incoming power. A SLC processor can provide the power. A Panelview can't.