Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
forqnc

Hardware Failures

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, Just lately we seem to be getting a lot ot I/O cards that cause CPU faults. When I connect using RS logix the error I am told is something like:- "the user has defined Slot 1 as unused in the program but a card is installed in slot 1. This could also mean the I/O has reset it self. An attempt was made to run with an empty rack" I was wondering if anyone else has had these problems. The machines have been running since around 1993. We were wondering is there was a life expectancy on the cards? It is mostly the 1746-OA16 but we have had some IA16 do the same thing. Thanks for any help

There is a life expectancy for all the SLC modules of course, which would be influenced by many factors (like panel termperature, vibration, module usage, etc.). I'm sure the test data is available from A-B if you want to study it. If you've swapped I/O modules and still have the same problem, suspect the chassis itself. I've had similar errors to yours, and it was caused by the chassis.

If it is happening frequently, especially on the same slot I think I would contact Rockwell about sending it off to determine the cause of the failure. It will probably cost you more than the I/O module cost but if you are having a quantity of them going bad and the downtime is hurting I think it would be worth it

Thanks for the replies. A little more info, we have about 70 machines in 6 plants across the country, they have 10 slot chassis and the cards that are bad are from various slots and various machines, but it does seem to be the 110V Output cards more frequently. We are able to swap them out and everything is fine. I was just curious if anybody else has experienced these problems.

Did you install surge suppressors on all your inductive loads? Contactor coils and solenoids must have good surge suppressor or it will damage output cards and possibly other modules

No Surge Supressors, thanks for the info.