Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
igel

rsview32 help

6 posts in this topic

This should be easy, I have got a copy of the rsview32 demo software and I am taking a swing at making an hmi for my tabletop plc setup. I have kepserverEX trial software opc server, I have the tags in opc reading ok, I have the tags reading ok in rsview32 tag monitor, I am now trying to animate a graphic, I have it setup to cause a box to flash colors when Guard_Closed is true. The problem is when I go to runtime (through the editor) by either the little play (test??) button or if I use the project manager to select graphic display in run mode and start project I get no animation. (on any of the tags/animations I have setup), I entered the tag from the rsview tag list, i tried it by itself (its 1 or 0 digital) and with a logical expression like they show in the manual but still no animation. I think I am missing something very obvious. A little smack on the head is all I feel I need. (Doh!) I think I may not be putting the project in a way to show animation as some of the colors do change (but stay constant) and some of my motions show? invisible (outline of object). Thank you for your time and help.

Greetings igel, see if this helps get you started ... first set up a temporary tag named "test_seconds_bit" ... make it a digital "memory" tag to begin with ... use it to animate the color of a rectangle as shown below ... use the temporary "Numeric Input" just to test the animation ... as you manually change the value from 0 to 1, the color of the rectangle should switch from red to bright green ... once that works, try reassigning the "memory" setup to be a "device" setup in your SLC ... assign the tag to address bit S:42/0 ... this is the least significant bit of your SLC's "second hand" address ... it should alternate continuously - one second on - one second off ... this makes a handy test to confirm that everything is talking correctly ... sorry - short on time ... got to go ... good luck ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Thanks ron, I did what you said and then went back to my animations, redid the tags in the expressions and it works!! yee-haa, it looks like a 4 year olds artwork but its a start. I am still not sure why the tags would toggle and read in tag monitor and not in the animation expressions. I think somehow I had the wrong path setup and duplicated so that in monitor they were correct but not in animation expressions. Thank you very much. BTW I have the rsview32 manuals downloaded and I have seen the rsview32 class book from a rockwell course on ebay. If you have ever taken or know someone who has is the book from the class worth paying for? They seem to be at a cost comparable to college texts but without seeing one and being able to compare it to what is free as download its hard for me to estimate its value. Thanks again.

Greetings igel, glad you were able to get it working ... no I haven't seen any books like the one you mentioned ... if you want to send me a link to the e-bay item, I'll be glad to take a quick look at it and give you my opinion ... but just on general terms, I'd suggest that you spend at least several weeks learning RSView on your own before shelling out any serious money for a book ... then again, if it's CHEAP, then what's to lose? ...

Also me still not being Ebay friendly, I would suggest you call your local Rockwell office and see what training literature they could give you. It might be the same thing that you are buying off of Ebay. But like Ron said, try playing with it first. Hands on experience is the best method of learning in my opinion

good idea, I'll try that. The books I am talking about are the ones that people get when they take an ab course which I doubt are free. (the books obviously, not the course) Since I have never been to one of their courses I wonder if they are more of a "here's how you do it hand holding book" or a "super whammadyne this is the stuff thats hard to figure out from the published manuals" book. I have seen posts about if a course is worth its price, but not one that talks about the relative value of the training materials supplied. Thanks for your advice, I'll call and see what I can scare up and meanwhile I'll continue to play with help from manual. hey I just made sparky:)