Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAT

Ethernet Connection to PLC with Laptop

4 posts in this topic

Hi There, Generally when connecting to a PLC for RSLogix I have used the RS232 - DF1 method of connection to download/modify programs. (cable 1761-CBL-PM02,SER.C) My question is can you connect to a PLC via ethernet port from laptop to ethernet port on PLC? I see you can configure an ethernet connection in RSlink but I am unsure of where i should be setting it up if possible and should i be assigning an IP address for the PLC somewhere? Also if it is possible should i be using a special cable or is your standard ethernet cable (straight through). I am using a MicroLogix 1100 PLC. Thanks, James

I'm just going by memory, but as I recall..... I'm not familiar with a Micro 1100 but does it have an ethernet port ?? (Dont confuse it with a DH485 port using an RJ45 connector) Going straight from PC to PLC you will need a crossover ethernet cable PLC should have an IP address already assigned to it, make a new network connection in Windows using the same subnet mask etc, I use the same IP as the PLC but add or take away 1 from the last set of digits. Maybe someone else could elaborate more on assigning an IP to a PLC that doesnt have one, and perhaps there is a way to " sniff " the IP adress of the PLC if you dont know it. (I believe this can be done in RSLINX.... Not much help I'm sure but a little is better than none !

These should help ML1100ethernet.pdf ML1100CIPconfig.pdf

Thanks alot Sparky will look at this now!! Mickey even!