Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ssommers

RSLogix 500

12 posts in this topic

I have a new Gateway laptop with Windows XP SP2 & no real serial port and loaded with RSLogix 500 Standard v. 4.00. I bought a USB to DH-485 converter to talk to my new tubing mill network. No machines will be powered up for a few more days so I have no way to try this out beforehand. Can anyone see any reason why this won't work? Any pitfalls I need to be aware of? Please help me make a good case for upgrading to v. 7! I feel like I'm in the dark ages... TIA! Edited by ssommers

Are you talking about the 1747-UIC? I would think your version of RsLinx would be the first thing to check. Then once you get it to a version that is compatible with the UIC I would see if RsLogix 500 is compatible with that version of RsLinx As for reasons to upgrade, there are a lot of new products that your version is not compatible with.

The most compelling reason to upgrade is that version 4.x isn't officially compatible with Windows XP. There are several threads discussing this, including an amazing amount of labor I've seen expended to get various Windows XP compatibility mode settings to run old versions of the software. You say you have version 4 installed, and I know it was released before XP existed, so it chugs along thinking it's running in Windows NT. But if it fails to work correctly, you're not going to get any help trying to make a go of it. The second biggest reason is device support. If you have (for example) an SLC-5/03 from ten years ago fail and replace it with a new one, you won't have the new SLC operating system support to load the program into the new controller. Since you have software that's around five years out of date, you're probably not familiar with the Tech Connect system that Rockwell uses to provide software upgrades and technical support. Give your local Rockwell distributor a call and have him help you figure out how to get all of your software and support updated so you can work on these machines when they get powered up !

If you are using the 1747-UIC according to page 3 of the installation instructions HERE it says it requires RsLinx 2.41. Now normally you are upgrading RsLogix 500 and run into the older version of RsLinx not being compatible. I'm not sure how it would work in this situation. Guess your next question should be, is RsLogix 4.00 compatible with RsLinx 2.41? My next question: You say this is your new tubing mill network. Does this mean you purchased this equipment and have never seen it? If so the quicker answer to your question may be to post the list of PLC devices. It is quite possible that even one expansion module could be newer than your version of RsLogix

Device support is my #1 reason for wanting to upgrade - just had a machine (RTO) come in with 2 Micrologix 1100's & I know that I must upgrade. The RTO also has a CompactLogix and they need to buy Logix 5000 for that. I don't have to do the startup on the RTO so Management just wants to put the software purchases off for a month. Other than the Micrologix 1100, the newest PLCs in the plant are all SLC5/03's - even the one on the tube mill that isn't powered up yet. So far, I've just been checking out the ladder programs. There's not much in the way of modifying from the old tube mill to the new one. Mostly I just need to make sure that the wiring is correct since the electricians had to move the hardwired operator panel (lights & buttons) from one location to another. TechConnect contracts... I've had them other places & got a quote for eConnect, but management decided that it was too expensive. It will be cheaper to buy a new version of Logix 500 for now. I'll bring it up again in about 6 months when we need service pack updates for both 500 & 5000.

I might be wrong but I have never seen it be cheaper to buy a new version compared to upgrading. It should be significantly cheaper to upgrade.

Aack! Nope, I've got RSLinx Lite 2.10. Dang... I'm going to have to dig up the old-old maintenance laptop with Win95 & pray it works. I'm going to do that first thing in the morning. And I'm going tell my boss that I have to have Logix 500 NOW so I get it in a week or so. The tube mill I'm working on is partially refurbished & partially new. The plant bought some new machines to control the coating & paint processes. The new coating controls (SLC5/03) need to be integrated into the line. All the other SLCs in the line are either 5/03 or fixed I/O so it's all equally ancient technology. A controls engineer will be here to startup the new section, but I'm responsible for the total integration of old & new. The DH-485 network is an in-plant addition to help with integration. This will allow the operator to view info from the existing SLCs and the new SLC - mostly feeds & speeds - via a Panelview.

Your can download RsLinx Lite 2.50 HERE. You do not need a support contract.

Problem solved... We're buying version 7 now that mgt understands the reasons. Thanks for all the help!

I would strongly suggest you get a support contract along with it. The bottom of the line one will work. This way you can get the software updates. A good example of why to have one right now is the Micrologix 1100. Let's just say you were using them. It has just came out and I am sure they have found some bugs or improvements needed. Probably won't be too long before we see a series B. Your going to need a software upgrade for the new processor. The same is true everytime a new module is introduced

Our quoted price for the bottom of the line TechConnect eConnect contract was about $400 more than rebuying the software because we're an end-user not an OEM. AB still insists on charging end users by the # of PLCs & drives instead of having a software-only support contract like is available to OEMs. Since we only have Logix 500 currently & the electricians have never needed to talk to AB Techs, management decided that buying a new license was cheaper. I figure I'll be able to get the support contract PO thru management once we have more software. I'm buying Panelbuilder & Logix 5000 shortly to support another new machine and then a support contract will make lots of financial sense. I give it about 6 months because they're upgrading so many old machines to newer PLCs... Thanks TW!

Your situation is one of the only ones where this "re-purchase" almost makes sense, because you have many controllers but only one software package. If you had even one or two other software packages then the equation would come out the other way. I think you do understand that things have changed; you don't get "one year free support with purchase" anymore because the support contract covers a whole class of products, not just one serial number.