Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smoke

Profibus Network

5 posts in this topic

I have ran into something I have never seen before. I have a Profibus system with a SST Master, 12 Versa Max modules with I/O and Analog. a couple truck blocks and SMS valve blocks. I am running Proficy 5.5 Here is my problem. I am getting a good status from my NIU and no errors back either. I can see all data coming from the remote devices, but the don't receive any commands my CPU has no faults e.g. all inputs are seen at the CPU from the network. The outputs are turning on in the CPU but not on the Versa Max cards. Has anyone seen this before. What could be the condition for the outputs not working. Thanks

The most likely problem is a data length problem or bad .gds files. Did you add any system or diagnostic bytes needed by the output modules? Just out of curiosity are you auto configuring the VersaMax I/Q blocks? Edited by RussB

No this machine was working fine, our maintenance took it down to replace air lines and re-run cables about 6 months ago I upgraded the software from Logicmaster with a versapro config to Cimplicity. I replaced the master card from Horner to SST (The Horner lost its good status now and again tthe SST has been great) After they brought the machine back up I couldn't get a good status. It took me a while to find the bad connection. The config for SST card matched the VersaMax config. Edited by Smoke

For future reference, where/what did you find a bad connection? This information may help someone else. Edited by RussB

Bad connections seem to always show its ugly head when the connectors are hand made and not molded. The standard MO on our Profibus systems is the shield has pulled away from the grounding contact point on the DB connector. In the situation I mentioned though is very different. The SMC valve Profibus connection is made with a Turck cable. Somehow the cable was plugged in misoriented, I still cant figure how that was able to be done. Then is was tightened down until all the pins were crushed. Like channel locks were used. The grief for my major problem turned out to be a 115vac IEC relay being turned on by a 24vdc control wire. As I have found out, The output power has to be at the VersaMax I/O Slave module for the module to work. My thoughts were that I should see the outputs turn on and off (the lights) even without the actual output power present. Not true. This is one way the Slave knows it is able to run. I have no idea how long the 115 vac relay worked, but it has for a long while now. Lesson learned. I can go home now.