Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smoke

Barcode Printing

9 posts in this topic

Does any one print a bar-code directly to your metal parts? I would like to look at printing a bar-code on steel and aluminum (Not a tag) and bypass the label apply process altogether. I know Ive seen it but I cant find any info on it.

There was a company in the UK called Domino, which sprayed ink on tin cans at 1000cpm, I believe after I left they found another better piece of equipment, but I would presume printing bar codes would be possible with this type of equipment. Below is a web for them http://www.domino-printing.com/uk/solution.../smallchara.cfm Just putting industrial ink jet in the search engine brought up quite a few such companies. The main problem with these printers are the ink of course, messy and dangerous. I think they changed to some sort of laser printer, not really sure as it was after I left. Edited by Groo

We use a laser marker on Stainless Steel. I don't know alot about it but they are expensive. I think it was about $150,000 for our application. http://www.rofin.com Edited by GerryM

Thanks for the replies. We actually have several Rofin c02 lasers and Yag lasers that we use for welding. The Sato and Zebra bar-code labelers we currently use only have a 2 or 3 second cycle time. I would like to stay in this time frame. How long does it take for you to burn your markings.

I don't know, the guy who works with it isn't here either. We have a large label with alot of wording and a long time to get it done, about 30 sec. I couldn't say how long one bar code would take it is very size, thickness, and contrast dependent. Sorry I can't help much I just knew it may be a possibility for your purposes.

If you Google "Direct Part Marking," you will find a number of vendors. (Telesis, Intermec Technologies, etc.) I used to work for a magazine in the bar code/automated data collection industry, and one company that I remember from those days is Telesis. Hope this helps you gather some information. Rick

Laser Marker is what you need. Check this sweet marker out here: http://www.keyence.com/products/barcode/la...cations_1_1.php I just bought one, I know it can mark on metal, although I am not marking on metal for my upcoming project. It's really easy to use. -

We print 2D data matrix code and verify code with vision system. We dot peen on aluminum, and steel automotive parts, as well as plastics.

Thanks for the replies. We are going to 2D soon in the future but for easy transition something that can do both is better. I am going to look into chakorules idea and have Keyence bring in a laser to checkout. It looks like it can do anything I could want. Thanks All