Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wally96

SLC 502 / pic comm. problem

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have acquired a new machine with a 5/02 processor, and am trying to communicate with 1747-pic. When I try to configure driver, I get a message " can not create pic device with RS linx running as a service. To create new device run as normal application and then create the device." I have removed all other drivers and have tried to create it with logix open and closed. I am sure it is simple, but I am new to pic drivers. Thank you Paul

Hello, Please follow the next steps: 1- Shutdown rslinx . 2- From start menu select Rockwell software then select Rslinx launch control panel. 3- Simply press on stop button. 4-Unmark always run inservice. 5- Start Rslinx again after that configure driver . 6-I think now you can go online with the processor. Thanks, HAYA

Thanks HAYA, I tried your instructions but no progress there, this is a hand me down laptop with XP pro, I am wondering if there is a patch needed to make it work? I am using RS logix 6.30 CPR 6 and Linx 2.43. In the mean time I attached my old laptop with win 98 and same version software and communicated with no problem using pic. Thanks Paul

Add step 4a to to amr1979's reponse: "4a restart your computer" Then you will be in business

Hello, I am unable to deselect the always run as a service the check box is greyed out. How would I configure a pic driver? Edited by toolhouse

I think you need to be logged in as Administrator on your PC to change settings for Windows Services. RSLinx generally runs as a Service, but needs to be taken out of that mode to run the PIC driver in Windows XP. The PIC driver is a perennial thorn in the paw for SLC users with modern operating systems, and the very best workaround is the 1747-UIC USB to DH485 network adapter.