Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DLinton

Stepper Controls

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone used the 1746-HSTP1 to control a stepper motor in the SLC-500. I have two stepper motors I want to control on a two axis linear screw postioning system. For simplicity like a over head crane. One will move up/down and the other in/out. The third axis is a pneumatic rotary table I have that one taken care of. But the steppers I am lost I have the two 1746-HSTP1 control cards and two Translater driver boards for the two stepper motors. But the manual is not to clear to me on set up and programing. Any help in layman terms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You may want to start by looking at the sample in technote G24733418 - Motion Example Single Stepping the 1746-HSTP1 HERE. It is not a very complex sample but it may get you started You aren't trying to do any circular interpolation or anything like that are you? Edited by TWControls

Yes I am but it si done with a pneumatic turn table not with a stepper. I downloaded the file but said something about wrong compression or something like that. But I will keep trying and thanks for the help.

What version of RsLogix do you have?

Thanks, updated and opend fine. Will work with it and see how it works. I am starting to believe it will be easier to use servos then steppers. Steppers were allready there in place so thought I would try them out.

Well I was trying to be nice, but yes, servos are much easier to use. I really didn't think there were new stepper applications. But sounds like you are doing some modifications to an existing machine Edited by TWControls

Yes, it is in a older simulation that used the steppers to control the pick and place, like a Gantry crane instead of using hooks and cables it used linear screws on steppers with pneumatic suction and rotary table to rotate. The older PLC used Statement list to program and the steppers were done by a third party so that left me where I am. I will get it for the AB SLC 500 and then into Control Logix but probably with servos. Thanks again for your help. I love these forums for this reason even as you may see some disagreements among some people, they still have something to share.

I think you will find motion control in the Controllogix much easier to grasp than the SLC500 but guess you have to start somewhere And welcome to MrPLC